Asst. Coach Hughes Heads for Memphis

For the second time in as many months, the Harvard football team has lost a coach. Coming soon after Coach Mark Harriman's departure for Bates, Coach Hank Hughes has announced his decision to leave the Crimson for the University of Memphis football staff.

Hughes served Harvard in 1997 as its assistant head coach, special teams coordinator and defensive line coach. Hughes' capacity on the Tigers' staff will be similar, as he will coach the defensive line and assist with special teams.

Hughes' departure comes after a four-year tenure, beginning with Harvard's 4-6 season in 1994, and ending with 1997's 9-1 Ivy League championship campaign. This past season, the Crimson made history as the first Ivy team to go undefeated and untied in league play. "I wanted to see this thing through," Hughes said. "I feel like we made even more progress on the field and in the weight room than...in the win-loss column."

For Hughes, there are many Harvard bonds that will be difficult to break; however, there are also some personal ties that the coach will refuse to server. "I had a great experience while I was here, but I leave with mixed emotions," Hughes said.

It's always tough to leave behind the players, coaches, trainers, and the equipment men. I even feel the same way about the kids I recruited and won't get to coach. It's like leaving behind a part of you."