Sophomore Pictured In Playboy Magazine

Michelle L. Woodbury '00 proved she's a woman of her word when she posed for the College Girls special issue of Playboy, on newsstands this month.

"It was kind of a bet with my high school friends," said Woodbury, a psychology concentrator and a resident of Dunster House. "I was just joking around and said I would pose in Playboy if I got into Harvard."

Woodbury has modeled for hair stylist Paul Mitchell, Yoo-Hoo and the perfume "Fetish," but this was the first time she had to bare more than her resume.

"It was my first and only experience," Woodbury said. "Not because it was a bad experience, I had a really good time doing it."

Playboy offered Woodbury the chance to pose last summer while she was modeling in New York. "[Playboy] needed college girls this summer, and my agent knew the producer," she said. "Basically, it went from there."

According to Playboy Publicist Karen Ring, some models make it into the magazine this way, while many solicit the magazine directly by sending in pictures of themselves.

"We do a fairly comprehensive screening process before we get into photography," said Jeff Cohen, executive editor of Playboy newsstand specials.

After being selected, Woodbury met with producers to plan how she wanted to be portrayed in the pictures.

"Everything was laid out beforehand as to what was going to be shown," she said.

The New York photo shoot took five hours--with roughly two hours dedicated to hair and makeup.

"You have to be in good physical condition," she said.

The only blush on Woodbury was applied with makeup. She says she felt at ease during the process.

"The photographer was amazing, it was extremely comfortable," she said. "There are about six other people in the room and no one pressures you to do anything you do not want to."

According to Cohen, only three-quarters of the women who are photographed actually make it into the issue. Woodbury found out two weeks ago that she appears in the magazine.

The two-page spread shows Woodbury lying on a bed, surrounded by psychology textbooks and a Harvard sweat-shirt.

"It is kind of overwhelming, but I was happy with the picture they selected," she said. "I felt it was one of the more tasteful in the magazine."

Woodbury is partially clad--wearing underwear--unlike many models, who are concealed only by strategically placed soap suds--or not concealed at all.

According to Woodbury, her friends and family are equally positive about the picture.

"[My friends] are all pretty psyched. They allwant me to sign it," she said. "It's been a reallygood reaction so far."

Her father "wasn't really into it," Woodburysays, but her mother was supportive and drove herto the photo shoot.

"My mom and my sister have seen it, but theyhaven't shown my dad," she said. "My mom likes thepicture a lot."

Woodbury said Playboy is "in a class of itsown" and "tends not to objectify women."

"It's not demeaning in any way...it is abeautiful picture which portrays who I am," shesaid.

The "College Girls" issue, which will be onnewsstands until April 20th, will sell roughly350,000 copies, according to Cohen