Junior Dies; Found Stabbed At Revere Beach

By James Y. Stern, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

David L. Okrent '99, a physics concentrator in Cabot House, was found stabbed yesterday morning on Revere Beach in Boston.

Okrent, a native of Evanston, Ill., was pronounced dead on arrival at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) shortly after 6:30 a.m. He was 20.

According to the Suffolk County District Attorney's office, a man walking his dog found Okrent, who had a single stab wound to the neck. Officials said Okrent was still alive when authorities arrived on the scene.

According to several Cabot House residents, students were told at an informational meeting last night that Okrent had been present at Saturday's "Cabot Underground" dance and was last seen at 1:30 a.m. Any students who saw Okrent after that time are instructed to contact police.

Okrent's death is being investigated by the Massachusetts state police as a "possible homicide," said James M. Bourgesanie, press secretary for the Suffolk County district attorney's office.

Bourgesanie did not rule out the possibility of suicide, saying Okrent's wound could have been self-inflicted.

Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe said the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) is assisting in the investigation.

Autopsy results are still pending and are expected to be released today.

Janice and James C. Ware, masters of Cabot House, held an informal meeting in their residence last night for Okrent's close friends. James Ware said more than 50 students came to express their feelings of grief and loss.

The Wares told students last night that Okrent's roommates will be flying to Chicago today to visit his family and attend funeral services, which are tentatively planned for Wednesday.

Lawrence Okrent, David's father, said the family learned of their son's death earlyyesterday morning.

"I was sitting at the breakfast table whensomebody from some sort of Massachusetts organdonor organization called," he said. The call camebetween 8 and 9 a.m.

The caller asked Okrent if he would like tocontribute his son's organs, but hung up when herealized that the father had not yet learned thenews of his son's death.

"My adrenaline was just released in a verylarge volume," Okrent said "I was very concernedbut I didn't want to let my wife know."

Okrent called his son's room, only to get theanswering machine. He then called Robert H.Neugeboren '83, the Cabot House senior tutor, andwas notified of his son's death by Neugeboren'swife.

Huppe said the University has been in contactwith Okrent's family throughout the day, and hadrefrained form notifying them of their son's deathat the request of the police.

"Massachusetts state police told our officialsthat they would contact the parents through theEvanston police," Huppe said.

"They said it was essential that they do so fortheir procedures," Huppe added.

Huppe said the Massachusetts Eye and EarInfirmary went ahead and called Okrent's familydespite police procedures.

"They should be called to task for that," hesaid.

Lawrence Okrent said Evanston police did cometo the family's home at about 10 a.m. with thenews.

"At that point," he said, "there was nothingthey could tell us that we didn't already know."

Neugeboren said he--accompanied by HUPDOfficers--notified Okrent's roommates at about7:30 a.m. yesterday.

Neugeboren said they went to Okrent's residence"to see if there was anything in the room thatwould tell us why he was in Revere."

The Wares were notified early this morning ofthe news. According to James Ware, tutors werenotified throughout the day.

"Everyone's really in shock right now," JamesWare said. "We're notifying individuals."

He said counseling services will be availablefor any Cabot House resident and last nightstudents received a handout detailing ways to dealwith a traumatic experience.

Friends, Family React

Those at Harvard who knew Okrent--who went bythe nickname "Oak"--described him as a greatfriend.

"He's been a really amazing person ever sincehigh school," said Rebecca C. Weiss '99, whoattended Evanston Township High school inEvanston, III. with Okrent.

"In high school, there was no one who wasbetter-liked than him," Weiss said.

"His most outstanding feature was that he wasso well-liked by so many people [in high school],and the same is true here," she added.

Okrent, who played rugby at Harvard, committedhimself to public service during high school.During his senior year, he received the school'sCunningham Award, an honor voted by the seniorclass for a senior who best exemplifies thequalities of leadership public service andacademic achievement.

"He never put on airs. He never sought toembellish himself in a pretentious way," saidLawrence Okrent.

"He was a great kid," Okrent added. "When hewas growing up, we never talked about Harvard. Hegot into Harvard with the things that camenaturally to him."

David Okrent took a semester off from Harvardlast spring. He spent the time creating a computermonitoring system for an industrial firm inChicago, his father said.

"He was not strongly identified to a path quiteyet," Lawrence Okrent said, adding that his sonhad taken electives in music and finance. "He wasstill tasting things."

David Okrent's first-year entryway mates saidthey remembered him as a serious student whoalways had time for conversations with friends.

"He was very laid-back, so easy to get alongwith," said Linda Moon '99, who lived upstairsform Okrent as a first-year in Lionel Hall's Bentryway.

"He was always there for you when you needed totalk to someone, always there to help you withyour homework. He would play his guitar for me,"she added.

Okrent's family and friends also remembered his"brilliance" when it came to mathematics.

Okrent, who switched to physics at thebeginning of his junior year, served as a courseassistant in Math 21b last fall.

Lawrence Okrent, who taught high school mathfor several years, said by the time David was ineleventh grade, "he knew everything I had everseen."

"He was brilliant," said long-time friendDaniel M. Ring '99, who also attended EvanstonTownship High school with Okrent.

"When you're as smart as he is, you expect himjust to be in the library studying but he waspopular and committed to students," Ring said.

"He was a real renaissance man," Ring added.

A gathering will be held tonight at 9 p.m. inthe Cabot House Living Room to remember Okrent,according to James Ware. Students will read poetryand personal reflections. President Neil L.Rudenstine is expected to attend.

Huppe said a formal campus memorial service isbeing discussed.

"We are waiting to find out the wishes of thefamily and of the community," Huppe said.

Okrent is survived by his parents and two oldersisters.

--Barbara E. Martinez contributed to thereporting of this story.

Friends, Family React