French Club Says Bonjour To Harvard

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

As of last Sunday, Harvard students can officially say "bonjour" to a new student organization.

The newly formed Harvard-Radcliffe French Club held its first event, a brunch at the restaurant Chez Henri on Mass. Ave., on Sunday morning.

A French club hasn't existed at Harvard since the 1950s.

The club, which currently has over 60 members, was the brainchild of co-founders Chad B. Denton '01 and Oliver C. Haugen '98.

According to executive officer Benedict J. Brown '99, the club was formed because those interested in French noticed "there are clubs for every other language, and there should really be one for French."

"There was a lot of interest," Brown noted.

Brown said the club will promote the study of French culture on campus.

"It's way of getting together with other people who are interested in French language and culture," he said.

Vice President Vincent G. Levy '00 said that he was disturbed by the lack of a French club when he first came to Harvard.

"I'm from France, so I did seek out other French students and French culture," he said.

Vincent said the club is trying to organize aFrench-language literary magazine.

Ulka S. Anjaria '01, who is an executive boardmember and associate editor of the as-yet-unnamedmagazine, said it will publish works "in Frenchand non-French, but on French topics."

"We're welcoming submissions from everyone,"she said.

"In our first issue, we want people to get anidea of the range of French composition on campus.The selection process won't be too competitive."

Anjaria said the deadline for literarysubmissions will be soon after spring break. Theclub hopes to publish its first issue before theend of the year.

According to Brown, the club will also host"Pastry and Poetry," a weekly breakfast and Frenchpoetry reading; a current affairs panel;occasional dinners and brunches; and French filmscreenings.

Students said the club, which has field forrecognition as an official student organizationbut has not yet received approval from UniversityHall, is a welcome addition to the Harvard campus.

"I was president of my French Club in highschool and I've taken French for five years," saidmember Adela C. Acevedo '01. "I was veryinterested in getting involved."

Levy said all students interested in the clubare welcome.

"It's not just for French speakers," he said."It's open to anyone interested in Frenchculture.