HIGHLIGHTS

W. Lax Narrowly Falls to UMass

By Richard B. Tenorio

The Harvard field hockey team learned its postseason fate yesterday when the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) announced selections for its postseason tournament.

Harvard (9-8, 5-2 Ivy) earned the third seed in the four-team tournament and will play its opening game Saturday against the second-seeded Yale Bulldogs (13-4, 5-2) at the Yale Field Hockey Complex in New Haven. The winner of that game will play Sunday afternoon at Yale against the winner of the match between topseeded Rutgers (13-6, 2-3 Big East) and fourth-seeded Villanova (12-8, 0-5).

In the lone regular-season match-up between the two teams, on Sept. 26, the Bulldogs came away with a 3-2 overtime win over the Crimson.

The ECAC Tournament is a consolation tournament which selects teams with records over .500 who did not make the NCAA Tournament. Harvard reached the magical mark with a 6-0 pasting of Brown on Saturday at Cumnock Field.

The Crimson players learned of a couple of noteworthy individual accolades yesterday as well, as co-captain Judy Collins and senior Katie Schoolwerth were each selected to the All-Ivy first team.

Collins, who led the Ivies with 18 goals this season, received the unanimous vote of coaches for the third straight season. She set four school records this season--the single-season marks for goals and points (40) and the career records in the same categories (42 goals, 100 points).

It is the second First-Team All-Ivy selection for Schoolwerth, who also received the honor after her freshman year. Schoolwerth eclipsed career marks with five goals and nine assists this season.