Questioning Extracurriculars

By Emily YUCHI Yang

Recently, with all of the race discussions and panels on campus, there has been a lot of talk about why it is that some organizations seemingly have a majority of a certain ethnicity of students and do not seem to represent the diversity of students on campus. The question is whether there is extracurricular segregation and, if so, what the cause is of this phenomenon.

Although I have not felt uncomfortable joining any of the seemingly predominantly-white organizations on campus, I know this is not the case for some students. In some instances, it can be extremely intimidating to join an organization such as the Institute of Politics (IOP), which has money and resources but, more importantly, a name. Having participated in the IOP, I know that the common perception of the organization as unrepresentative of the campus's diversity is wrong. But I can understand why people who are not in the IOP may perceive it as a predominantly-white organization with few minorities.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of a minority student just starting out at Harvard, with limited knowledge of the student organizations. Imagine wearing a bright-orange sign that says "I'm different," while entering the well-enforced glass doors of the Kennedy School's Littauer building, ascending the crimson-colored stairs and walking through two heavy, metal doors. As you enter the offices of this organization full of prospective senators, governors, ambassadors and even presidents, you are greeted with handshakes, smiles and talk of people you may have never even heard of in your life. As if the situation were not intimidating enough, you suddenly realize that you are wearing that bright orange sign. You look around and wonder, "What are they thinking when they look at me? Will I be able to be one of them? Why do I want to put myself in such an uncomfortable situation?"

The scene replays itself every semester of every year in every association. The IOP is simply a seemingly simple target, due to the stereotypical image it evokes in the minds of some students. Having naturally distinguishing characteristics, people of different races carry around the bright-orange-colored sign that says "I'm different" everywhere they go. The sign is their skin, and the message is visible only to those who choose to see it. For many minority students, the message on the sign is seemingly always present. No matter how smart you are, how nice you are or how many leadership skills you possess, you still question whether people can truly accept you as one of them when you physically look different.

Is it fear of this prejudice that causes many minority students to turn away from organizations on campus, such as the Undergraduate Council, The Crimson, the Salient and the IOP? If so, what is it about these organizations that intimidates them? Is there even a shortage of minority students in these organizations at all, or is this just a stereotypical view many on campus share without really knowing?

Some organizations could argue that minority students just tend to have less of an interest in politics, acting, writing, etc. After all, the number show that most Asian-American students on campus concentrate in science, math or some related field. But why is it that Asian-American students tend to concentrate in the sciences? Is it truly because of personal interest or the result of a larger societal problem of discrimination?

Moreover, is the lack of minority involvement in some of Harvard's student organizations a result of students falling into a comfortable zone among people who share their "bright-orange sign," or is it that their time is consumed in ethnic organizations, and so they have little time to spend in other organizations?

The answers to these questions may be different for each person, but it is important to explore this issue. We must all ask ourselves why we participate in the activities we do. We must ponder the extent to which segregation is present on Harvard's campus and question if and why diversity is even important to us. By keeping out own views to ourselves, problems remain hidden and stereotypes perpetuate. Only in being honest to ourselves can we be honest with each other.

Emily Yu-Chi Yang '01 is a government and East Asian Studies concentrator in Pennypacker Hall. A panel discussion on extracurricular segregation at Harvard, co-sponsored by various student organizations, will be held tonight at 8 p.m. in Emerson 305.