W. Lax Picks Up First Win of Season

Tri-captain MacNaughton scores six in rout

By Zachary T. Ball, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Women's lacrosse got its season on track yesterday, riding a six-goal explosion by tri-captain. Honor MacNaughton to a 15-11 victory against Boston University at Ohiri Field.

The team had been winless in its two previous starts this season but used relentless offensive pressure on the B.U. net to jump ahead 10-3 at the intermission and cruise to victory.

"For the first time, we finally put into a game situation what we need to do and what we have been doing in practice," said freshman Ali Harper. "It was really a matter of confidence out there."

The win was an important one heading into a tough week. The team must face Villanova and No. 6 Maryland on the road this weekend before beginning its Ivy League schedule the following week.

B.U. struggled from the outset. Defensively, goalkeeper Kristen Simon came up with only tow saves on the afternoon, while Harvard goalkeepers Keltie Donelan and Kate Schutt were forced to make only five and one saves, respectively, to secure the win.

MacNaughton had two assists in the game and doubled her season goal total after earning Ivy Honor Roll Commendations last week for scoring six goals in two games.

"[MacNaughton] played with confidence," Harper said. "She definitely a leader on the field. She can finish but also creates opportunities for other people, which is important."

Harper herself continued to show signs of being an impact player for the Crimson on the offensive end. The freshman followed up her nine-goal Offensive-Player-of-the-Week exhibition with three goals against the Terriers.

Sophomore Ashley Birch, the only other Crimson playe with multiple goals, scored twice. Freshman Erin Aeschlimar junior Claudia Asano, freshman Melissa Crandall and sophomore Kim Weeks also scored for Harvard.