Antidote to Midterm Madness: What to Take for an Exciting Spring Break

By Kelly M. Yamanouchi, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

This week, Harvard students are donning their winter coats and trudging out to the Square under umbrellas to buy sun block and swimsuits. On the eve of Spring Break, many are looking forward to mai-tais instead of midterms.

Kathleen M. Brown ' 99, spring break coordinator for Let's Go Travel, said the travel agency's top selling vacation site is the Bahamas. Between 100 and 150 spring break vacation packages for the Bahamas, Cancun and Jamaica are sold to Harvard students every year. The comprehensive spring break package deals require little preparation by students ready to bypass itinerary plans for an easygoing vacation in the tropics.

"For the most part, all the students have to do is decide where they want to go and what hotel they want to stay in," Brown said. "We handle all the in-between work."

The only other necessities to keep in mind for spring break in the islands are sun block, plane tickets, extra film and a passport. Some students also warn would-be vacationers to be wary of other possible ways a tropical paradise can become tainted.

Misasha C. Suzuki '99, who spent last spring break in the Bahamas, recalled how what she took to be a relaxed vacation spot turned sour.

"It was a constant pick-up scene," Suzuki said, although she noted that even under the circumstances her trip was enjoyable. "A lot of the local people are really nice, but just be careful."

Shoddy hotel rooms can also blemish an otherwise picture perfect vacation.

"We just try to let them know that there's a wide range of prices on hotels and that the rate does reflect what you're getting for the hotel room," Brown said, noting that those concerned about having a good time should remember, "you can get nice hotels if you're willing to spend some money."

The key is to be a smart shopper. Vacation packages may also have hidden costs, such as departure taxes, Suzuki warns.

"Just be sure you understand all the package charges beforehand," she said.

Vacationing in the Bahamas can be expensive. According to Let's Go Travel price quotes, trips to the Bahamas, Cancun and Jamaica start between $399 and $459. But some students are willing to part with significant cash for a spring break get-away.

"I don't know how much I'm paying. My parents are taking care of it," Dan A. Ponce '99 said.

With all preparation completed, one can only look forward to a week of relaxation and sunny beaches.

"I've been lifting non-stop--I'm huge," Ponce said.

For those not ready to hit the beach, going home means less worries and often incurs only transportation costs, also often footed by parents.

"My parents like me to come home," said Ryan A. Riess '99. Riess, who is going home to Florida for spring break, will also be vacationing with his family at Disney World. "They take care of everything and you don't have to worry about finances," said Riess of his parents' vacation planning.

Other students have extended extracurricular commitments during spring break (read: work). Joseph R. Ciollo '99, captain of the Crimson track and field team, will go to Houston with the team for spring training.

"The main point of the trip is to train, but we have time to enjoy the warm weather," Ciollo said.

Students may also take the opportunity to visit friends during the week's vacation. Jessica R. Taylor '99 will be visiting her boyfriend, Michael A. O'Mary '99-'00, former Vice President of the Undergraduate Council, who is taking time off to work as a researcher and speech writer for Hillary Rodham Clinton. While the first lady is in Africa, O'Mary will be helping with a Congressional campaign in Arkansas.

Visiting new places can be difficult to plan for, Taylor said.

"I have no idea what the weather is," she said. "El Nino is putting everything out of perspective."

"Packing is problematic," added Taylor, whose vacation requires both business and casual wear.

Some students, in particular seniors with thesis deadlines to meet, will stay at Harvard for spring break. But because a small minority of students stay in the houses, Riki Yamakawa '98 said the College is not very accommodating.

"The shuttle stops, the dining hall closes," Yamakawa said, noting that, "not too bad, though."

Regardless of vacation plans, most students look forward to a break from the usual hectic schedule of classes and hours spent poring over books and problem sets.

Jeff R. Gu '00, a Crimson Editor, is looking forward to seven days and nights in the Bahamas.

"I'm excited to be in the sun, to be surrounded by beautiful women, and to get off my butt and get a tan," Gu said.