SPH Student Found Dead In Boston Apartment

By Andrew K. Mandel, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Students and administrators at the School of Public Health (SPH) participated in a gathering last night commemorating the life of master's degree candidate Frank P. Minore Jr.

Concerned friends found Minore dead in his Boston apartment Wednesday evening in what Boston police spokesperson Margot Hill has confirmed was an apparent suicide. Minore was 35.

According to Hill, state officials found four prescription drug vials and a bottle of liquor next to the body. Minore showed no vital signs upon discovery, and was pronounced dead at 9:23 p.m.

About 30 students and colleagues gathered at Shattuck International House--the SPH apartment building where Minore lived this year--to "express their sadness about the death," according to Harvard spokesperson Joe Wrinn.

University Health Services clinical social worker Nadja B. Gould, representing the support group Life Raft, facilitated the discussion.

SPH Acting Dean James H. Ware said students were also able to share their grief at an afternoon support session in one of the school's private dining rooms.

Minore "had developed a lot of friendships [atSPH]," said Dominic J. Minore, the victim'sbrother.

"He was very outgoing. He enjoyed life,"Dominic Minore said.

A native of San Diego who graduated in 1985from San Diego State University with a major inpolitical science, Frank Minore earned a J.D.degree from the University of San Francisco in1989, graduating with honors.

Minore, an enthusiastic celebrant of hisItalian heritage, also spent a year at theUniversity of Florence during college, andmaintained close ties with his family in Sicily,his brother said.

After several years of working as an associatefor the San Francisco law firm Tobin & Tobin,Minore enrolled in the SPH's one-year Law andPublic Health program in 1997.

"Frank wanted to change his area ofspecialization in law," Dominic Minore said.

"This program was best suited for his needs. Hewas very much interested in the program of healthcare issues," he added.

Dominic Minore said his family is "in greatshock" after the death of their "witty andintelligent" loved one.

Informed by the state medical examiner's officethat the cause of death was temporarily"inconclusive," Dominic Minore said "if there wasan overdose, it must have been accidental."

"He never seemed real despondent or desperate,"he added. "He was doing well in school. I think aproblem would have been obvious in his grades."

Ware said students at last night's gatheringaffirmed that Minore exhibited "no evidence ofdepression" and appeared to be "in good spirits."

But Hill reported last night that Minore wastaken to Brigham and Women's Hospital on March 6following a suicide attempt.

Wrinn said no one had told the University aboutthe attempt. As a recipient of private health careinsurance, Minore had the choice to inform othersabout his hospitalization.

"It's heartbreaking that students can bevulnerable," Ware said. "It's been a very tryingand very moving time. It has touched me and mywife Janice very deeply."

Ware, who is also master of Cabot House, alsocoordinated gatherings after the loss of David L.Okrent '99, who was found dead on Revere Beachearly Sunday morning.

Wrinn said he does not believe the two deathsare related in any way.

Funeral services have not yet been arranged.

Members of the community who wish to expresstheir sympathy may send cards to the MinoreFamily, care of Dominic Minore, 2800 Quebec St.NW, Apt. 744, Washington DC 20008