M. Lax to Tackle No. 10 Minutemen

Contest could determine Crimson's postseason fate

By Own Break, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

When the No. 19 Harvard men's lacrosse team (6-3) plays No. 10 UMass (6-2) in Amherst tonight, it may see a little of itself in its opponent.

The Minutemen duplicated the feat of the 1996 edition of the Crimson last year, getting into the NCAA Tournament, beating Hofstra and then falling to a national powerhouse, Princeton.

Just as the prestige from Harvard's performance in 1996 sustained the team in the national rankings last year, UMass' success last season has kept it in this year's top 10 despite losses to Duke and Loyola.

While UMass' schedule is loaded toward the end of the season, its most notable achievements so far are beating No. 9 Hofstra in a squeaker, 7-6, and losing by only two to fourth-ranked Loyola. The team's remaining victories have come against second-tier teams like Fairfield and Hartford.

Even though nine spots separate the two teams in he national rankings, tonight's game may predict who will earn a postseason berth.

"The way things have worked in the past is that the winner of the Harvard-Umass game goes to the Tournament," sophomore Lawson DeVries said, "and this year it should be the same way."

"This is the most important game of the season for both teams," junior Ethan Oberman said.

The knowledge that their destiny is in their own hands provides added intensity for the Harvard players. However, against one of the best defenses in the country, it will take more than a do-or-die attitude for the Crimson to emerge victorious.

Senior Harold Drumm is the leader of the defensive unit and one of the premiere longsticks in the country. Drumm, who has acquired a reputation for shutting out his attackman, will look to stifle Harvard captain Mike Ferrucci.

Behind Drumm is senior goalie Jon Kasselakis, also one of the best in the country at his position. A high school teammate of Harvard's Bevilacqua brothers, the Crimson will have to shoot hard and with prevision to score on him.

Offensively, UMass is a patient, possession-style team who relies less on its talent, and more on its defense and its disciplined system to wear down its opponent.

Most of UMass' scoring is keyed by its defense, which produces opportunities in transition and lets it control possession and frustrate its opponent. A key for the Crimson will be to make the Minutemen work for all their goals and to remain focused in the face of their methodical, keep-away type play.

Traditionally only one team from New England receives a Tournament berth, and this year could be no exception. If Harvard beats UMass tonight, and goes undefeated for the rest of the year, its 11 wins will give the selection committee no option but to take it.