La Flamme: A Cut Above

By Paul K. Nitze

To some Harvard students, getting a haircut is minor surgery, with possible results ranging from mildly acceptable to imitations of a freakish skin disease. Even for those who don't see haircuts as a dangerous game of chance, Harvard Square offers a bewildering array of choices.

La Flamme, which has existed under a variety of names for more than 100 years, presents a microcosm of the male hair-cutting experience. Female students, unfortunately, contend with fewer local options.

Opinions differ among those who frequent La Flamme regarding cuts received, but nearly all agree about one thing--it's cheap. La Flamme is in fact one of only a few places to get a low-cost haircut in the Square.

"You can get three [La Flamme hair-cuts] for one [salon haircut]," says Richard J. Wegener '01, a Crimson editor. "That's my QRR knowledge for you."

Currently a trim at La Flamme cost $11, up only $2 from when the shop was opened 14 years ago according to shop owner George Papalimberis.

The quality of the La Flamme experience, however, is a much more controversial question.

"My very first experience with a hair-cut at Harvard was at La Flamme. I had no control over what the barber was doing and he completely mangled my hair," says D. Clay Ackerly '01. "I tried to find an alternative to the La Flamme experience with no success. Finally...my hair necessitated another trip to La Flamme [and] I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome."

Ackerly is quick to point out that while great haircuts are possible at La Flamme and other low-cost barber shops, the risk is great. Others, however, see La Flamme as one of the greatest values in the Square.

"My first La Flamme experience was about three weeks after I came to Harvard," says Hugh P. Leibert '01. "I was happy the first time I went there and I've kept coming back. It's really great place."

Regardless of the success of the La Flamme coifs, nearly every patron feels that some barbers are better than others.

"One guy who gave me a haircut [at La Flamme] ended up with me being almost bald, which left my roommate calling me `cueball' before intersession, so I know to avoid him," says Riad M. Abrahams '99. "Unless one of the two women are free, I go elsewhere."

Abrahams offers one parting piece of wisdom to La Flamme customers.

"Never go in there if you wear glasses," he says. "If you can't see what's going on, they have free reign with the clippers."

Papalimberis contends that it is the more established (not just female) barbers who are usually the most popular.

"The people who've been here longer, who the students are more familiar with, are more popular," he says.

While Ackerly insists that La Flamme is the most celebrated hair-cutting establishment in the Square, Custom Barber Shop, another low-cost barbershop on Brattle St., also has a loyal following.

"I've found you can avoid most of the lines that you see at other Square establishments [at Custom Barbers]." says Ryan E. Dorris '00. "That's where you get a man's haircut."

Whether they go to La Flamme, Custom Barber Shop or even Great Cuts, nearly all cash-strapped students agree that there is virtually no choice between these barbers and high-priced salons.

"Anything but La Flamme or Great Cuts is going to cost you an arm and a leg,"says Ackerly. "I made one conversion until Irealized that the $35 was not worth it. Soon mypocketbook was drained, and I had to hope for abetter La Flamme experience."

In contrast, Wegener feels that the Squareoffers a good deal to those who need a cut.

"You'd think coming into Boston the priceswould be vastly inflated," he says, "but you canget a haircut here for dirt cheap."

But some students are turned off by La Flammefor reasons unrelated to the price or the qualityof the barbering.

"All I know is that his barbershop's called LaFlamme, and that's sketchy," says James R. Allison'00.

--Ideas for Behind the Scenes? E-mailstuddlife@thecrimson.harvard.edu