Birk Goes to Vikings In NFL's Sixth Round

By Bryan Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Matt Birk and Randy Moss don't appear to have much in common. One has been in trouble with the law on several occasions and is leaving school--his third in two years of eligibility--after his sophomore year. The other is going to graduate from Harvard in a month and a half.

Well, there is one thing. The Minnesota Vikings drafted both of them this weekend.

Minnesota selected Birk, an offensive lineman and a unanimous All-Ivy First Team selection, with the 20th pick in the sixth round yesterday. Predraft speculation had him going at about that part of the draft.

Birk, who grew up in St. Paul, will return home to play for the team he watched every week.

"I was pretty excited," Birk said. "Dennis Green, the head coach, called me and asked, Are you ready to play some football"?

"I was shaking, the moment was so exciting. To go home to play in my hometown is unbelievable. My mom was really excited because I am coming back home.

Birk was watching the draft with about 50 other people in his room. While he was talking with Green, the screen started flashing, and up came his name.

"Everybody went wild, and coach Green asked me if I was having a party," Birk said.

Birk thinks he is ready to play some football and is now focusing on every rookie's primary task, making the team.

"The goal is first to make the team," Birk said. "I have a lot to learn, even more so because I went to Harvard and played in the Ivy League. Down the road, I hope to make a contribution to the team."

Despite the novelty of being from Harvard, Birk probably won't be the sensation of training camp because the Vikings selected the talented, troubled Moss, a receiver from Marshall, with the 21st pick in the first round.

"He's a phenomenal athlete, and I'm really looking forward to talking with him and seeing what he's all about," Birk said.

Birk's transformation from a solid lineman to an NFL draft pick has been an amazing story. He came to Harvard as a skinny 6-5, 235-pound defensive end and will leave as a 6-5, 310-pound offensive lineman.

His perseverance and weightroom work paid off this past season, as Birk became a dominating presence in the Ivy League. Harvard went 9-1--its best record since 1919--and had the first perfect Ivy run in school history.

Birk's consistently excellent play translated into team success. He easily handled Penn defensive lineman Mitch Marrow, whom Carolina selected in the third round, in Harvard's 33-0 win. Dartmouth linebacker Zack Walz was the only other Ivy draft pick and went before Birk in the sixth round to Arizona.

Birk was the 173rd player chosen over-all. He realizes that a roster spot is by no means secure, but the situation in Minnesota seems perfect.

"The Vikings have a very solid offensive line and had two Pro Bowlers last year, Randall McDaniel and Todd Steussie," Birk said. "They're established, which is good because I'm young and inexperienced. It's an ideal system where I can learn from great players. They didn't draft another offensive lineman, which helps."

When asked what it will be like practicing against John Randle, the best defensive end in football, Birk just laughed.

Birk will fly home tomorrow, and he will attendMinnesota's rookie camp over the April 30 weekend.He then returns home after graduation and beginsintense preparation for minicamp, training campand then the season.

Whether he makes the final roster or not, Birkalways has a job at Prudential Securities inMinneapolis waiting for him. In the meantime, hecan have fun and do his best on the footballfield