Lacrosse to End Season vs. Big Green; Awaits NCAAs

By Owen Breck, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

It would be a shame if there were anything less than a packed house to see the class of '98 play its final game tomorrow at Ohiri Field. It will be a bittersweet farewell to a group of players who have been the backbone of one of the most successful eras in Harvard lacrosse history.

In 1996 the Crimson experienced the ultimate, going to the tournament and advancing to the second round where they lost to eventual finalist Virginia. Harvard was in the national spotlight and enjoyed the kind of respect that teams used to rarely get around here.

That success was followed by a difficult season last year. A team that had been poised to join the elite of the lacrosse world found itself mired in mediocrity. A talented group of player's that had excelled under the veterans of the previous year struggled to find their way as the leaders of the team. A final loss against Dartmouth at the end of the regular season added salt to the Crimson's wounds, depriving them of sole possession of second place in the Ivies and bringing the season to a bitter conclusion.

Tomorrow, Harvard has the chance to erase the memory of last years humiliating loss to the Big Green and add the final touch to what has been a terrific season. All year, the Crimson played in the shadow of early losses to Duke and Hobart, but it never lost its faith.

Early-season setbacks fueled the Crimson's determination to avoid last season's fate. Harvard responded, winning a one goal thriller against highly-regarded UMass and putting together a complete defensive effort in shutting out Notre Dame in the final 27 minutes and getting its first win over the Irish since 1990.

Wednesday night, it got a small measure of revenge, soundly thrashing a Hartford team who shocked it in the final seconds last year. Against Dartmouth, the Crimson is setting its sights on something higher than simple retribution. A convincing win over the Big Green would essentially assure Harvard a tournament bid. However, the seniors want to leave the fans something special to remember them by.

"The game means a combination of things to us. It's our last Ivy and regular season game and a chance to get back to the tournament," said senior Rob Hatch. "But playing at home has always been our greatest reward. I think what's most important about tomorrow is that it's our last chance to play in front of our home crowd."

"It's a special game for us because we have all been through so much together in the past four years. It will be a little bittersweet." said senior Owen Leary.

Tomorrow will be the last time a talented group of seniors grace our fields before the Crimson tries to go further than they've ever gone before. That would be a fitting culmination to a magical ride.