Knowles Adds Two Hours to MAC Schedule

Early openings come in the wake of UC insistence

Harvard's Undergraduate Council may have scored a victory for student fitness.

In a letter to Undergraduate Council President Beth A. Stewart '00 yesterday, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles announced the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) will open at 7 a.m. next year on a trial basis, and the pool will open at 8 a.m.

Stewart said she was pleased with Knowles' announcement.

"It's an example of what the Undergraduate Council does best," Stewart said, "which is lobby administrators of the College for very specific changes which will obviously improve student life."

Sam Cohen, the council's vice president, said the earlier opening was a significant achievement for the council and for the student body.

"It's something we've been working on all semester," he said. "It's a great development."

Stewart wrote in a February Crimson op-ed that extended hours at the MAC "rank high" on her agenda. At a March meeting of the council, members passed a resolution calling for longer hours and improved weight equipment.

Stewart said the council passed the resolution at the suggestion of Associate Director of Athletics John E. Wentzell, who she said told her, "Anything you can do to nudge Jeremy Knowles would be helpful."

"Everyone's cooperated well," Stewart said. She said the helpfulness of the Harvard administration came in part because the longer hours "also benefit faculty, staff and administrators who use the MAC."

The council's resolution was a factor in the decision to extend the MAC's hours, according to Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, but he said the decision was also driven by "the general recognition that there may be people who would use the earlier hours if they were available."

Knowles also said he was aware that there was demand for early morning hours at the MAC.

"We heard from a number of students--including the [council] chair--and faculty and staff that earlier opening of the MAC would be very helpful," Knowles said.

Some students said they were pleased with the decision to open the MAC earlier.

"Anything that Harvard can do to give itsstudents the chance to get into better physicalcondition will be much appreciated," said JordanB. Toumey '98. "Those two hours before class wouldbe prime workout time."

But Jordan A. Cooper '99, who said he uses theMAC five or six times per week, said thatextending the hours was not enough MAC reform.

"They need to fix the facility," Cooper said."The weights are in terrible condition, there'sovercrowding during the rush hour between four andsix p.m. and it stinks."

Lewis said the MAC's earlier opening time mightreduce crowding during peak hours.

Cooper, however, said a refurbishment would domore to eliminate overcrowding.

The earlier hours "might be able to relievesome of the problem" Cooper said, but added that"having a larger weight room would solve theproblem."

"For a school that has this much money, it's adisgrace that the common weight room is ashambles," Cooper said.

In his letter to Stewart, Knowles said thatlimited funding prevented further changes.

"We should recognize, I fear, that the Facultyof Arts and Sciences will never be able fully tomeet the growing hopes of our very energeticcommunity," he wrote.

Knowles also emphasized that the extended hoursfor next semester would only be an experiment.

"We're trying it out next term," he said."Obviously this is not cost-free."

Stewart, however, predicted that the earlieropening would be kept permanently.

Next year's experiment will be paid for out ofthe budget of the Department of Athletics,according to Lewis, though he added the Collegewas involved in the decision and was "verysupportive."

Lewis said the decision to keep the 7 a.m.opening would depend on "usage levels, costtrade-offs, ability to find compensating savingselsewhere and anything else that is learned fromthe experience."

"If it turns out to be a popular move and toallow better use of the MAC's facilities," Knowlessaid, "we shall have to see what compensatingeconomics can be made elsewhere."

"The greatest happiness for the greatestnumber' isn't a bad precept," Knowles added.

William B. Decherd contributed to thereporting of this story.