6,236 Graduate Harvard Today

The College grants 70 summas , 1,563 degrees

By David A. Fahrenthold, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

Harvard's 362nd Commencement exercises will take place under sunny skies today as a total of 6,236 degree recipients pass through Dexter Gate and leave Harvard "to go forth and serve better thy country and thy kind."

Harvard-Radcliffe Colleges will award 1,563 degrees during the ceremony. Seventy of the graduates will be awarded the distinction of summa cum laude, the highest academic honor given at the College.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will award a total of 768 degrees, including 293 masters of arts, 42 masters of science and 433 doctorates of philosophy (Ph.D.s). No degrees will be awarded this year in Forestry Science, one of the University's smallest academic disciplines.

The Medical School will also award 176 degrees, including 11 masters of medical science and 165 doctorates of medicine (M.D.s).

The Law School will graduate 686 students, 141 of whom will receive masters of law, seven of whom will be awarded a doctorate of juridical science. Doctorates of law will be earned by 538 students (J.D.s).

The Graduate School of Business Administration will cross the river to award 863 degrees. Masters of businessadministration (M.B.A.s) will go to 859 graduates;doctorates of business administration will go tofour.

The Divinity School, whose mission was at theheart of Harvard's first Commencement, willgraduate 175 students today. Masters of divinitywill be given to 52 students, masters oftheological Studies to 99 and masters of theologyto 12. Twelve more students will receivedoctorates of theology.

The John F. Kennedy School of Government willsend 544 aspiring politicos into the world today,including 213 midcareer students graduating withmasters of public administration. Two-year mastersdegrees in public administration will be awardedto 81, and masters of public policy will be givento 239. Eleven students will receive a mastersdegree in public policy and urban planning.

The School of Dental Medicine will graduate 121students, including 14 masters of medical sciencesin oral biology, 53 doctorates of dental medicine(DDM.) and ten doctorates of medical sciences inoral biology. Forty-four students will receivespecialty certificates from the school.

The Graduate School of Design will award 200degrees today. Masters in architecture will go to91 students, masters in design studies to 37,masters in landscape architecture to 35, mastersof architecture in urban design to 20, masters inurban planning to 11 and masters of landscapearchitecture in urban design to four. Two studentswill receive doctorates of design.

The Graduate School of Education will graduate641 students, 16 of whom will receive certificatesof advanced study. Masters of education will go to578 and 47 will receive doctorates of education.

In the School of Public Health, 356 diplomaswill be awarded, including one master ofoccupational health, 175 masters of public healthand 121 masters of Science. Six doctorates ofpublic health and 53 doctorates of science willalso be awarded.

Finally, Harvard's Extension School will award16 associate in arts degrees and 115 bachelors ofliberal arts. It will also award 11 Certificatesin Applied Sciences, 21 in museum studies, 11 inpublic health, 211 in administration andmanagement and six in publishing andcommunications. The School will also award 72masters of liberal arts