CLASS DAY 1998

Rubin Stresses Personal Touch

By Jenny E. Heller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Flying in the face of the Machiavellian stereotypes typically ascribed to the business community, Secretary of the Treasury Robert E. Rubin '60 emphasized the value of personal interactions in all areas of life in his Class Day address at the Harvard Business School (HBS).

"I am convinced that you distinguish yourself more and do better for yourself more and do better for yourself by doing your job well and working well with others rather than pushing others aside," Rubin said. "People matter even more than you think."

The secretary attempted to galvanize the graduating class to engage in public service and "do well by doing good."

From his podium in front of the imposing brick facade of Aldrich Hall, Rubin outlined the mission he foresees for the HBS class of 1998.

"Public schools and inner cities [need work]," Rubin said. "These are challenges that we must meet if we are going to be productive in years ahead. I believe that our economy will fall short...unless these challenges are met."

Once a mentor to inner-city children and an advocate for his company to pay attention to social issues, Rubin told the graduates, "Our city needs its most privileged to be involved and intensely involved in our society."

Rubin engaged in a casual chat with his audience, drawing on his own experience to advise the hundreds of graduates.

From his 26 years at Goldman, Sachs & Co., Rubin said he learned life is a cocktail of chance and "intensity." With a wily grin Rubin added that everyone must be prepared to embrace the unexpected and profit from it.

Rubin concluded his remarks by reminding his audience that they must always view the economy from a global perspective.

"The economic well-being of each nation is enormously affected by the well-being of the rest of the world," Rubin said.

These graduates must reawaken America's interest in global affairs which has waned in the last few decades, Rubin said.

Rubin cited the U.S.'s failure to pay its United Nations dues and its lack of involvement in trade agreements. He also criticized the U.S.'s refusal to give sufficient money to the International Monetary Fund.

The students in the audience from their uniquely "privileged position" as Harvard graduates and future entrepreneurs have a responsibility to the world, Rubin said.

"The business community is uniquely situated," Rubin said. "This is an advocacy role only the business community can play."