GLC Presents Visibility Award to Eck, Austin

By Kevin S. Schwartz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Following their appointment this spring as the new masters of Lowell House, Diana L. Eck and her partner Dorothy A. Austin will receive the first Harvard Gay and Lesbian Caucus Visibility Award tonight at the organization's annual Commencement dinner.

This is the first year that the Caucus Visibility Award will be given. It was created specifically with Eck, professor of comparative religion and Indian studies at Harvard, and Austin, a professor at Drew University, in mind.

Robert W. Mack '71, a member of the caucus' board of directors, said Eck and Austin's appointment was the spark in creating this award, but the Visibility Award further recognizes their long, positive and visible presence as a lesbian couple at Harvard.

"It was an easy choice this year because we felt a strong desire to recognize not just the appointment as House masters but the contributions that Diana and Dorothy have made over many years, culminating in this appointment," Mack said.

According to a press release from the organization, a recent caucus student survey emphasized that students need prominent gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered role models in the faculty and staff to help them accept their own sexuality.

"Both of us are very happy to have been given this award," Eck said. "We very much look forward to spending that evening with this increasingly visible group of Harvard and Radcliffe alumni."

As a professor, Eck said her work involves a range of issues, including religious diversity, dialogue and the religious traditions of India and the U.S.

Eck emphasized there are many gay and lesbian people who live ordinary lives and increasingly want it to be understood that most are not "professionally" gay and lesbian, but rather "part of every facet of American life in education, in churches, government, the legal system and business."

"The point to which we've come is to begin to recognize the whole range of professional, intellectual and spiritual roles we have," Eck said. And public visibility increases this recognition, she said.

"I don't think homophobia will disappear with this award, but I do think every step counts and this is certainly a positive one," Eck said.

According to its Web site, the caucus includes more than 2,100 gay, lesbian and bisexual Harvard and Radcliffe alumni, Faculty and staff. Its mission is to develop, nurture and defend Harvard's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community.