Gergen Takes Position At Kennedy School

By Gregory S. Krauss, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

David Gergen, Washington insider and adviser to four U.S. presidents, has been named a public service professor at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG), Dean of the KSG Joseph S. Nye Jr. announced Monday.

Gergen, who is editor-at-large at U.S. News and World Report, a contributor to the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and a visiting professor at Duke University, will begin teaching in the spring.

"His commitment to the Kennedy School ideals of public service will serve our students well as David has shaped public policy at the highest levels," Nye said in a statement.

A Republican, Gergen made his first jump into politics almost thirty years ago when he was a speechwriter for former president Richard M. Nixon.

"It was like the 1928 Yankees," Gergen said. "We had a good speechwriting team then." Former Republican presidential candidate Patrick J. Buchanan and MTV personality Ben Stein alsowrote for Nixon at that time.

Gergen continued in various high level roles inthe Ford and Reagan administration and returned tothe White House in 1993 to act as a counselor toPresident Clinton.

More recently he served as a special advisor tothe president and the secretary of state inClinton's first term.

"I'm not a strong partisan," Gergen said. "Iwas there in Watergate and there in Whitewatergateand they were both searing experiences."

Nye said that Gergen's dedication to the publicinterest is what has made him sought after, evenas the political winds have shifted.

"That gives a certain seriousness to his advicethat makes it particularly valuable," Nye said.

Gergen said he is going into teaching to sharehis experience as a journalist, advisor andcommentator.

"There comes a time in one's life when you wantto give back," he said. "I think we owe more tothe next generation."

A 1967 graduate of Harvard Law School and anInstitute of Politics (IOP) Fellow in 1984, Gergensaid teaching at Harvard was "especiallymeaningful" because his father once taughtmathematics here and his brother taught socialpsychology.

Moreover, Gergen said the KSG has become anespecially dynamic place under Nye's leadership.

"It's a wonderfully rich place for someone likeme to be and I'm extremely honored to beincluded."

Without a Ph.D., Gergen said his classes willrely more on experience and less on textbookknowledge. Currently he is writing a book onpresidential leadership that draws on his career.

"I don't pretend to be an academic theorist,"he said.

Gergen said he plans to continue to have a roleat U.S. News and World Report, the NewsHour withJim Lehrer and at Duke University.

"By continuing to have some continualengagement in national politics that will alsokeep my courses fresh," he said.

While at Duke, Gergen said he discovered astrong affinity for students. Several of themcontinue to work for him, he said.

Gergen recalled that his first time in theWhite House, he did not yet have a job and wasthere by invitation of a friend.

When a higher ranking official came into theroom, he had to hide.

"I wound up being locked in the closet," Gergensaid