Jury Finds Riley Intimidated Trooper

By Gregory S. Krauss, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

In a verdict that did not hold, a jury found former Mass. State Police lieutenant colonel Francis D. "Bud" Riley--now chief of the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD)--responsible Tuesday for retaliating against a state police trooper in 1993.

The trooper, Robert J. Monahan, wrote a report allegedly contrary to the interests of law enforcement officials that detailed illegal activity by government informant Michael L. Taylor.

Monahan's report said Taylor had close ties to officials in the federal law enforcement community.

The jury fined Riley, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, $4 for violating Monahan's civil rights.

Because the judge had previously ruled that Monahan's report was not protected by the first amendment, the jury's verdict will not go into affect unless the judge's first amendment ruling is appealed and overturned.

In a separate ruling, the Mass. State Police were ordered to pay $1.15 million when the jury ruled it violated the state's Whistleblower Protection Act, which prevents the punishment of state employees who expose employer wrongdoing.

The jury awarded $900,000 to Monahan for economic injury and $250,000 for emotional distress.

Riley called Monahan off from investigating theinformant, Michael L. Taylor, in 1993 afterMonahan submitted a report that linked Taylor todrug running, money laundering, sexual assault andother crimes.

Officials credit Taylor with assisting in adrug bust in the early 1990s that netted 6,000pounds of hashish.

The state argued that Riley called Monahan offthe case because Monahan's investigative dutiesdid not extend to narcotics.

The plaintiff said Riley unfairly pressuredMonahan to stop the investigation because ofTaylor's law enforcement connections, according toEric Maxwell, the plaintiff's attorney, who workedwith help from the American Civil Liberties Union.

In 1994, Monahan left his duties on the assetsforfeiture unit of the state police to become atraffic cop on the Mass. Turnpike. Though his newjob paid more, Maxwell said Riley and others haddriven Monahan from his passion, investigativework.

Monahan's report says that federal lawenforcement officials had failed to prosecuteTaylor, that one official had tipped Taylor offabout his investigation and that Taylor's licenseas a private investigator should be reviewed.

"Taylor has used his contacts in political andlaw enforcement circles in Mass. to circumventbeing held accountable for illegal acts," thereport says.

Robert J. Bird, director of public affairs ofthe Mass. State Police, said the jury's $4 finewas an indication that any damages Riley did toMonahan were not serious.

"It's almost considered an insult to theplaintiff," Bird said.

Maxwell said Monahan suffered emotionaldistress only for doing his job. "There's noquestion in my mind that in my view Monahan is atrue American hero," he said.

Bird said the jury's decision against Riley,even if it does not go into effect, is unsound.The state will appeal the $1.15 million decisionbased on the Whistleblower Act, he added.

"We're wondering how the jury came up with thisverdict to be very honest with you."

Riley is an honest man who is well respected byhis peers, Bird said.

"I've known [Riley] for 27 years," Bird said."He's a man of utmost integrity.