McCurry may be next big name to join Harvard faculty

By Alan E. Wirzbicki, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

The nation's spin doctor-in-chief will soon be in the hunt for a new job, and a position at Harvard may be among the options White House Press Secretary Michael D. McCurry is now weighing.

When asked if McCurry was considering a faculty position at Harvard, Marvin Kalb, Murrow professor of press, politics and pubic policy and director of the Shorenstein Center, said he had spoken with McCurry "several times."

Kalb said he had no further comment on any negotiations Harvard may or may not be having with McCurry, except to say that he would be pleasedto have McCurry join the Faculty.

"He is an interesting man with an interestingbackground," Kalb said.

McCurry, who became White House press secretaryin 1994, said he is interested in changing careersafter 22 years in various press offices.

At the July 23 press briefing where heannounced his resignation, McCurry suggested hemight go into academia because he likesinteracting with students.

"I enjoy talking about my career and talkingabout the relationship between the press andelected leaders in this country, and I may find agood opportunity to do that," McCurry said.

McCurry last spoke at Harvard in March, at anevent sponsored by the Shorenstein Center. At thetime, in the early stages of the ongoinginvestigation into an alleged affair between thePresident and former intern Monica S. Lewinsky,McCurry quipped that "it would be a lot better tobe lecturing at Harvard."

Reporters at the July 23 press briefingspecifically asked McCurry if he would beinterested in a position at Harvard. McCurry hadno comment then. He said he is "probably not goingto make any final job decisions anytime soon."

Before coming to the White House, McCurry wasthe spokesperson for the State Department.

While McCurry may be considering a move toHarvard, he is not in line for the University'stop spin spot.

Despite speculation by some that he might benamed the next vice president for government,community and public affairs to replace theoutgoing James H. Rowe III '73, a source close tothe selection process told The Crimson thatMcCurry is not being considered for the post