Champion Gridders Hobble Into Season

If his team hadn't had a dream year and won the Ivy championship last season, you might feel sorry for Harvard Coach Tim Murphy.

After all, he's been blindsided this preseason by season-ending injuries to three key players. When he lost nine starters to graduation, he could see it coming.

"Winning a championship is a big challenge, but winning back to back is a huge challenge," Murphy said. "Because of our personnel hits, we're facing more adversity than we did last year."

Junior fullback Damon Jones is out for the year after surgery for an abdominal strain, and senior tailback Troy Jones is gone with a broken arm suffered on the first play of the first scrimmage. Junior defensive end Brian Daigle broke his ankle in Saturday's scrimmage, and projected starting wide receiver Steve Durbin hasn't taken a snap in practice.

Other players had injuries cut into their practice time. Junior quarterback Rich Linden, junior defensive linemen Brian Howard and Mike Sands and junior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski had problems, but only Howard is not listed on the two-deep roster for the Columbia season opener this Saturday.

Defense

Last year, Harvard's defense led the team to its Ivy title with two shutouts and only four touchdowns allowed. And it was Harvard's all-senior defensive line that led the defense.

The line put pressure on the quarterback, helping the Crimson to a No. 5 national ranking in passing efficiency defense. The run defense also was ranked No. 5, and Harvard's scoring defense ended the season No. 2, with only 12.3 points per game allowed.

Juniors Howard, Sands, Chris Nowinski and Jeff Svicarovich must step up to maintain the level of play. Helping to bridge the gap will be fifth-year senior Brendan Bibro, who is the only player to be a two-time captain since 1904-05. Bibro received his extra year of eligibility after breaking his foot last year.

"They've been in the program, so they have a feel for how the defensive line worked and what it took to be successful," said Bibro of the junior linemen. "But it is very strange after four years of the same guys, every day at practice, every preseason. Those four guys [who left] were pretty much my best friends at Harvard.

"You don't know what the other guy's thinking as easily as you did when you were playing with your roommates. But the guys this year have as much talent as any D-line we've had."

Besides the defensive line graduations, Harvard also lost safety Jeff Compas, the first player ever to start as a freshman for the Crimson, and coordinator Mark Harriman, who became the head coach at Bates College. Murphy says the aggressive, attacking eight-man fronts won't change under new defensive coordinator Bruce Tall, who coached at Northeastern last year.

Senior Derek Yankoff was solid in his first year as a starter at cornerback but will replace Compas at safety, Yankoff's natural position. Senior corner Glenn Jackson led the Crimson with his six interceptions, and junior Kane Waller, who also has starting experience, will be the other corner.

First-team All-Ivy junior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski will anchor the defense. Linebacker might now be the best position on the team because it includes senior strong-side backer Scott Larkee and weak-side backers Joe Weidle and Clint Kollar. Junior strong safety Aron Natale technically isn't a linebacker, but he is usually the eighth man in running situations. He also has the athleticism to cover receivers.

Offense

Harvard lost talent on offense as well, but a veteran offensive line and returning skill position players should keep the Crimson explosive.

A source of concern for Murphy is the wide receiver position, where the only returning player with experience is junior Terence Patterson.

Colby Skelton, the school's all-time leading receiver, and Jared Chupaila both graduated last year. They were go-to players for Linden in third-down sit- uations.

Patterson is Harvard's big-play threat, andLinden will try to get him the ball as often aspossible, whether on passes, reverses or returns.Opposite Patterson, the Crimson will try seniorJake Heller and sophomores Josh Wilske and CarlBackes.

Although the offensive line lost two starters,including Matt Birk, who made the MinnesotaVikings roster, Harvard has found a replacement.

Sophomore tackle Mike Clare has been thesurprise of camp, Murphy said. Clare, at 6'4 and305 pounds, will step into Birk's position andprotect Linden's blind side. The other startersare seniors.

"[Left tackle] was a big concern," Murphy said."But [Clare]'s had an outstanding spring andpreseason, beyond our expectations."

Two players stand to benefit most from a goodline: Menick and Linden. Menick, who set schoolrecords with 1,267 yards rushing and 14 touchdownslast year, returns and will have to be theworkhorse again because Troy Jones cannot rotatewith him. Sophomore backup Chuck Nwokocha hasspeed and moves but has to show he can be durable.

Linden, who established himself as a startertwo years ago, was a second-team All-Ivy selectionand made sure that Harvard's attack wasbalanced--his 164 completions set a school record.His season totals of 2,099 yards passing and 16touchdowns were second all-time for a Harvardquarterback. He also added five rushing touchdownsand set the school total offense record with 2,308yards.

"The minute Rich (Linden) came to Harvard, fromthe first practice he did things instinctivelythat are very hard to teach a kid," Murphy said."Either you have it or you don't, and he had it."

Junior Brad Wilford will back up Linden, andMurphy said Wilford improved greatly during theoff season.

Senior tight end Chris Eitzmann returns healthythis year and at 6'4 should once again be agoal-line target for Linden.

There is a question mark at fullback, wheresophomore Grady Smalling will make his firstcareer start in the season-opener againstColumbia. Damon Jones was a great athlete and athreat as a receiver and runner last season, butSmalling will probably have a more limited role.

Special Teams

The aspect of the team Murphy complained aboutmost last season was the kicking game. Murphyconstantly lamented the inconsistency of juniorplacekicker and punter Mike Giampaolo, who battledsome injuries.

When it mattered, however, Harvard found a wayto win. Giampaolo kicked two crucial field goalslate in the wild 14-12 victory over Princeton,including a career-long 43-yarder for the win.Murphy said he thinks the kicking will be the bestit's been during his tenure.

The return and coverage teams are solid, butthe losses of Skelton and Troy Jones hurts thisarea as well.

Three games in consecutive weeks could decidethe championship. Harvard travels to Dartmouth onOct. 31, hosts Brown on Nov. 7 and travels to PennNov. 14. No one on the schedule beat Harvard lastyear.

That mental edge and the confidence of winningteam means that Harvard remains a favorite despitethe recent bad luck.

"We're not concerned--it's just going to makeus tougher and give the second- and third-stringguys more work," Kacyvenski said. "I think that'sthe best way to look at it."FOOTBALL

LAST SEASON

9-1, 7-0 lvy

COACH

Tim Murphy, fifth year

CAPTAIN

Brendan Bibro

KEY RETURNERS

Senior DT Brendan Bibro; Junior LB IsaiahKacyvenski; Junior QB Rich Linden; Junior RB ChrisMenick; Junior WR Terence Patterson

KEY LOSSES

OT Matt Birk; WR Jared Chupaila; S Jeff Compas;DE Tim Flesizer; DT Jason Hughes; DT ChrisSchaefer; WR Colby Skelton; DE Chris Smith

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"Because of our personnel hits, we're facingmore adversity than we did last year."  --Harvard Coach Tim Murphy

OUTLOOK

Winning back-to-back titles is supposed to betough, but this is ridiculous. Coach Tim Murphybrings a M.A.S.H. unit into the season opener atColumbia, and both Joneses--senior tailback Troyand junior fullback Damon--are out for the season.Stopping the run has always been a priority underMurphy, but his first new defensive line in fouryears has had little practice time together due toinjury. Harvard's depth and experience,particularly its talent-laden junior class--whichincludes third-year starting quarterback RichLinden--make it the favorite to repeat as AncientEight champs, but Murphy would do well to take alittle Maalox along for the ride.

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE(HOME GAMES IN CAPS)

DATE  OPPONENT9/19  Columbia9/26  Colgate10/3  LEIGH10/10  CORNELL10/17  HOLY CROSS10/24  Princeton10/31  Dartmouth11/7  BROWN11/14  Pennsylvania11/21  YALE

CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerRUNNING MAN: Injuries force juniortailback CHRIS MENICK (I) to shoulder a heavy loadthis season.

Special Teams

LAST SEASON

9-1, 7-0 lvy

COACH

Tim Murphy, fifth year

CAPTAIN

Brendan Bibro

KEY RETURNERS

KEY LOSSES

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

OUTLOOK

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE(HOME GAMES IN CAPS)