Frat Thrown Out of Yard At Move-In

The Freshman Dean's Office (FDO) ordered fraternity students from the Yard last Sunday while they were helping with move-in, highlighting the hostile relationship between non-official organizations and the College.

Members of the fraternity Sigma Chi were carrying bags and boxes for first-years on Sept. 6 when Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans told them to leave. They were escorted out by a Harvard University police officer, students said.

The fraternity members were not taking tips, but they were wearing bright yellow fraternity shirts that College officials said put them in conflict with policies on unapproved student activities.

The students said they were simply performing a community service.

"We conceived this as a community service project," said fraternity President Obiera "Bo" Menkiti '99.

Doubtful, said Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

"I am very skeptical about calling a group of fraternity members, in uniform dress, approaching freshmen as they move into the dorms a `community service activity,'" he wrote in an e-mail message.

Nathans said student groups that are not recognized by the college are not permitted to participate in any activities on campus as representatives of their organization.

"As the Handbook for Students points out, fraternities and sororities are not recognized by the College," she wrote in an e-mail message.

"Individual Harvard students, as individuals, are...always welcome within the University, but...it was clear that [the students] were there as members of their organization rather than as individuals," she said, stressing the matching the matching shirts with fraternity insignia.

College officials said they suspected the fraternity members used move-in as an opportunity to solicit members, a charge the students denied.

"There was no taking of names," Menkiti said.

Kent B. McNellie '99 started to organize the move-in event earlier in the year, after hearing about similar events at other colleges. He said they viewed the projectas just another service opportunity like one ofthe many that won them a city community serviceaward last year.

Menkiti said he had expected some problems fromadministrators.

"[McNellie] asked me what I thought about it.At first, I was a little skeptical and thoughtthat something like this would transpire," Menkitisaid.

McNellie said, to his knowledge, no Harvardadministrator has ever told the group what itcould or could not do on campus. McNellie said heconsulted with the fraternity's adviser, a HarvardBusiness School student who could not be reachedfor comment.

McNellie said the adviser counseled thefraternity that the event would not violateHarvard rules.

On the morning of first-year move-in, thebrothers divided themselves into four groups oftwo, assisting at Matthews, Weld, Canaday andThayer halls.

Each was wearing an orange t-shirt, with SigmaChi's insignia emblazoned on the breast pocket. Onthe back of the shirt, set on a background of theGreek letters Sigma and Chi, was the slogan"You'll find it here."

Around 8:30 a.m., after working for about 45minutes, the brothers were approached by AssistantDean of Freshmen Eleanor A. Sparagana, who askedthem to leave, Menkiti said.

Nathans then appeared with a Harvard policeofficer and repeated the request.

Sparagana could not be reached for commentyesterday.

Administrators referred to the Student Handbookto explain their actions, which cautions studentsto make "well-informed" choices about joiningGreek organizations, and warns that membershipbrings with it a risk of poor grades.

Fraternities and sororities "are not permittedto conduct any activity at Harvard even thoughtheir activities involve Harvard undergraduates.This policy also applies to the `final clubs' inCambridge," the handbook reads.CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerTHE OFFENDING ITEM: Fraternitymembers carried boxes and bags through the Yardsporting their Sigma Chi T-shirts.