Starr Report Entertains Students

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Keith L. Cynar '00 and his friends were enjoying their return to Harvard on a recent evening. As they sat relaxing in the Lowell courtyard, they read aloud from a newspaper. Their entertainment for the night? The Kenneth W. Starr report.

From jokes in porn magazines to lewd faxes sent from home, students said the explicit nature of the Starr report makes for easy amusement.

"People are getting more interested in the details then in the legal ramifications," said Jennifer L. Stevens '99, who admitted that, though she hasn't read the report, she has heard jokes about "the cigar incident."

Even Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield, noted for his conservative political views, joked that the report has some educational value.

"I didn't know what phone sex was until I read the report," he said. "It improved my knowledge of the world."

At the same time, Mansfield said the explicit nature of the report shouldn't add to its entertainment value.

"It's the farthest thing from sexually arousing. Reading it will make you sick of sex," Mansfield said.

Yet students are reading--and discussing--the report, which is accessible in full on the Internet. Evenstudents returning from out of the country havebeen able to closely follow the story.

"I read about it in Spanish translation," saidSusannah L. Hollister '00. "Everyone in Europe istalking about Monica Lewinsky."

Students worry that knowing the intimatedetails of each sexual encounter between Lewinskyand the President lessens the effectiveness of thereport.

"The majority of Americans aren't responsibleenough to take in this information," said Kate D.Earls '00.

Yet according to Nils R. Barth '00, a few jokeswon't necessarily destroy the Presidency.

"We crack jokes about Yeltsin being a drunk. Inother countries, they're making fun of people formaking such a deal about this more then anythingelse," said David A. Sivak '00.

But Mansfield argued that Clinton has disgracedhis office, and it's now time for him to go.

"I think he should resign, and, failing that,be impeached," Mansfield said