W. Volleyball Doesn't Reign in Northern Cal

Harvard loses four tough ones on west coast

By William P. Bohlen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It was a trip the Harvard women's volleyball team (2-5) may want to forget.

This weekend, the team traveled to California for the Spaulding Invitational at St. Mary's College only to come home with four losses in as many matches. HARVARD  0 NEVADA-RENO  3 HARVARD  2 CAL STATE-FULLERTON  3

On Friday Harvard faced the University of Nevada-Reno, a team with an undefeated record entering the game. The Wolfpack quickly took the match in three straight games, 15-9, 15-8 and 15-11, bringing its record to seven wins and no losses.

One star, however--junior outside hitter Linda Jellison--shone for the Crimson, however. The southpaw led the Crimson with nine kills and a .409 hitting percentage and served up three aces.

The team highlight for the Crimson this past weekend may have been the nightcap Friday.

In action against Cal State-Fullerton, Harvard lost a heartbreaking two hour, 45 minute match which ended in a fifth game.

The Titans took the first game, 11-15. The Crimson stormed back to take two in a row, 16-14 and 15-12. After Cal State-Fullerton won the fourth game, it jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, closing out the match with a 9-15 game win.

The Crimson finished the match with 80 kills and 86 digs. Jellison again was the spark, finishing with 22 kills. HARVARD  2 CAL POLY-SLO  3 HARVARD  3 ST. MARY'S  0

On Saturday, Harvard faced Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo in a five-game showdown.

The Mustangs took the first game 13-15, but the Crimson rebounded with a 15-11 game victory. After a split of games, the Mustangs won the match with a 7-15 fifth game.

Jellison again played well, racking up 19 kills, 13 digs and six aces.

In the final match against St. Mary's, the Gaels made quick work of the Crimson, winning 5-15, 9-15 and 11-15.

Harvard managed just 32 kills as a team with a .030 hitting percentage.

Harvard returns home tomorrow to take on Massachusetts at the Malkin Athletic Center.

The Crimson hope Cambridge will be kinder to than California, as it looks to turn the early season around.