Seniors Prepare to Select Class Marshals

By Molly J. Moore, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Applications for the four Harvard and four Radcliffe Class Marshal positions were due yesterday at 3 p.m. in Wadsworth House, headquarters of the Harvard Alumni Association.

The class marshal position is the Harvard equivalent of class president and is a title held for life.

Student opinion is divided over the position of Class Marshal. Some students interviewed said they could not comprehend why anyone would want to take on the lifetime responsibility.

But those who applied for class marshal said they viewed the position differently.

"I just think that I would like to be involved with planning senior class activities now and in the years to come," Alexandra L. Delaite '99.

During senior year, the First Class Marshal serves as president of all Class Committee meetings, assists the Harvard and Radcliffe College Alumni Associations in planning senior class programs and activities and acts as an intermediary between the senior class and the Harvard Alumni Association.

Senior year culminates for the Class Marshals with the ceremonial responsibility of presiding over Class Day Exercises and leading the class in the Commencement and Alumni Processions.

The power and responsibilities of the Class Marshals extend beyond senior year, an aspect of the position that may seem daunting to many.

However, to those who applied, the long-term involvement in class activities is viewed as a positive aspect of the position.

"I guess I really like keeping in touch with people," said applicant Audrey J. Lee '99.

After graduation, the Class Marshals continue to serve as class leaders for life. Working with the Class Secretary and the Class Treasurer, the Class Marshals plan reunions and other post-graduation activities.

The number of applicants for class marshal has remained fairly steady over the last five years, according to the Harvard Alumni Association. The class of 1998 had fewer applicants than in previous years, with 24 men and 51 women applying.

Prior to that, the class of 1997 had 85 applicants; the class of 1996, 88 applicants; the class of 1995, 88 applicants; and the class of 1994, 89 applicants.

Despite the number of applicants, candidates said they feel the competition will be minimal and the atmosphere friendly.

To apply for the position of Class Marshal, students were required to turn in a petition form with 25 classmate signatures, a list of their extracurricular activities and a passport photograph.

Each candidate's picture and biographical information will run in The Crimson on Monday.

The senior class will vote for Class Marshals in their dining halls next week, narrowing the field down to the top eight Harvard and the top eight Radcliffe candidates.

Voting for the final four Harvard and final four Radcliffe candidates will then occur the following week.