Annual PBHA Bike Auction Raises $3,000

HUPD donates recovered bicycles to fund programs

By Michael L. Shenkman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) raised about $3,000 Friday afternoon at its annual bike auction, which about 100 students attended.

Diana R. Nance '01 was one of the 40-some successful bidders.

Having won with a $90 bid on her "dream bike," Nance yelled, "Yay, my baby" to the crowd as she retrieved the prize of her skilled bidding.

Not everyone was as enthusiastic as Nance, but auction participants and PBHA staff agreed that the event was a success.

According to PBHA President Lisa A. Tomlinson '99, the $3,000, which is slightly more than last year's proceeds from the same event, will support the more than 70 public service programs PBHA operates.

A few bidders went away disappointed.

Wayne L. Pommen '02 bid $80 on a bike that ultimately sold for $95.

"These bikes are going for way more money than they're worth," Pommen said. Still, he said he recognized that the money was going to a good cause.

"It's a good fundraiser certainly," he said. "But it does provide a nice service for newly arrived students who need some transportation."

The bikes varied greatly in quality, from a practically new Trek mountain bike that sold for $210 to handles and seats that sold for a few dollars.

"All of the bikes we sell are pretty much fixer-uppers, so people expect to put some work into them after the auction," said Tomlinson, who bought a bike herself.

PBHA Vice President Jason Q. Purnell '99 said the auction is also a great way for the organization to get publicity.

"It's possible that some of these people will become volunteers," he said.

According to PBHA officials, the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) and Harvard Yard Operations donated bikes that were recovered or turned in and could not be traced back to their owners.

A graduate student residence that was renovated this summer also donated bikes left by previous tenants.

Harvard police Sgt. Robert A. Cooper said HUPD was pleased to support PBHA, which "does a lot of good charitable work," he said.

Still, he added, students should register their bike with HUPD to make it easier for the police to return recovered bikes.

Tomlinson and Purnell said they were grateful to Christine M. Hernandez '00, events coordinator, and other PBHA staff who helped.

"Mawi [H.] Asgedom [`99] did a great job asauctioneer," Purnell added. "He made the eventfun--which is important when you're asking peopleto spend money.