Hagel Emphasizes U.S. Role in World

Says President Clinton cannot command respect

By Kevin E. Meyers, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In a speech yesterday at the Kennedy School of Government, U.S. Senator Charles T. "Chuck" Hagel (R-Neb.) outlined his goals for American foreign policy in light of the current global economic crisis and the recent Clinton scandal.

About 100 attended the speech sponsored by the Institute of Politics (IOP) and the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.

"Foreign policy is the framework policy for America's interests in the world," Hagel said. "Foreign policy is America's future."

Hagel, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, emphasized the importance of American leadership on the cusp of the 21st Century.

"The United States of America must lead the world into the 21st century," he said. "We are the world's dominant power, which provides us with immense opportunity but awesome responsibility."

Hagel went on to criticize what he called the weakening of America's leadership potential in the world community.

"The next two years are going to be difficult years for the United States. They may be dangerous years as well," Hagel said. "The President is critically wounded, maybe fatally wounded. This will affect his international standing and leadership."

Hagel added that Clinton's wounds are "of his own doing."

In the question and answer session following his speech, Hagel was asked again about his views on Clinton's international credibility.

"These are big concerns and big problems," he responded.

Hagel also addressed today's international economic crisis.

"As of yet, the full brunt of the storm has not yet reached America's shores," he said. "But it's out there."

Hagel said the only way to lessen the crisis is "by working with the other nations of the world."

Hagel also fielded a question on the impact of the international media on America's foreign policy.

"The media has a tremendous impact on our foreign policy," he said, citing the example of CNN cameras capturing violence in Kosovo as a powerful determinant in swaying public sentiment.

Student reaction to the senator's remarks was lukewarm.

"I thought it was important that he highlighted the necessity of America making a united stand," said Jeffrey P. Yarbro '99, chair of the IOP Student Advisory Committee.

"I came because I was interested in hearing his thoughts. Hagel is a rising star in the Foreign Relations Committee. As far as what he said--nothing new," said Christopher R. Hart '99.