Breathless: NBA Awaits Jordan's Decision

HIGHLIGHTS

CHICAGO--Attention Michael Jordan fans: Break out the No. 23 jerseys, waggle the tongue and cross your Air Jordans.

After nearly a week of "Where's Waldo?" -like guessing, the MJ Watch goes on full alert this week.

No, there haven't been any new smoke signals. But after six months of wrangling, a deal to end the lockout and several days of lawyerspeak, the NBA finally gets going today.

Players can begin using team training facilities, though they aren't allowed to have contact with coaches. Teams can negotiate with agents, but no deals can be signed until Jan. 18.

The Bulls have four players--Ron Harper, Toni Kukoc, Randy Brown and Keith Booth--under contract. But ever since the NBA and the players union reached a deal Wednesday to settle the lockout, the primary question has been, "What's Jordan going to do?"

Bulls fans want to know whether their team is going to contend for a seventh championship in the 1990s or a lottery pick in June's draft. The NBA wants to know if Jordan will save the league once again, this time from post-lockout apathy.

"It's not polite or appropriate for commissioners to beg, but Michael, please come back", commissioner David Stern said last week.