Not Your Average TF

By Whitney K. Bryant, Jessica A. Nordell, and Anna M. Schneider-mayerson

Earlier this week it was announced that the star of both An Officer and a Gentleman and Slumber Party '57, Debra Winger, will be a teaching fellow in the life-changing course, General Education 105, "The Literature of Social Reflection." The following is a formal introduction to other significant additions to the rock-'em, sock-'em instructive line-up.

Alberto Tomba "La Bomba" had no scheduling conflicts when he was contacted and was actually able to ski right in to take up his teaching duties. Tomba, best known for his downhill Olympic slalom performance and for his wooing of the women, is considered by other TFs to be an "insightful and interesting person," regardless of his athleticism.

Last January, Tomba snowplowed into Head TF Kictoria Vennedy and Agee Professor of Social Ethics Cobert Roles '50 about teaching in the course. They were both impressed by his knowledge of the books and of the English language, and they chairlifted him into a position as head TF. In an effort to help students identify with this Olympian Casanova, Prof. Roles has introduced a new book to the reading list, Chiunque pue essere uno Skier esperto (Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier).

Through a happy coincidence, Danny Pintauro, currently in a mid-career slump, will also be free to teach this semester. This former geek and cast member of runaway TV success "Who's the Boss," leapt up in the air and identified himself as "the boss" when offered the chance to instruct.

Pintauro, known for his rendering of social, political and cultural moments in television, is certain to add a vitality to the class. His position that domestic staff are people too can only enhance the life-changing experience of the course. The teaching staff agreed that Pintauro will not have problems relating to his students, but suggested that students may have to work to bridge the gap between themselves and the former child star. In order to overcome this barrier, the course sourcebook will now include excerpts from issues 63-72 of TigerBeat as well as several posters (suitable for framing).

Along with doctors, lawyers, and other professionals who fly into Cambridge from far away to teach sections, my great-aunt Mrs. Eulah Karstedt will be leaving Century Village, her retirement community in southern Florida, to join Gen Ed. 105's teaching staff. Eulah's 97 years at the helm provide both the "variety of life experience" and the "new and fresh perspective" that are crucial qualities for any TF.

The sheer number of years she has been on this earth gives her a special edge, but Roles insists it is not quantity over quality. She completed her formal education in 1923, but still wishes to serve. This winter Karstedt will be playing bingo at VFW number 108, as well as coordinating Sunday brunch at the Kiwanis Club from Nov. 26 until Jan. 22. Head TF Vennedy first noticed Karstedt when she appeared on "Super Password" in 1982. In order to help the students relate to Karstedt, Roles has required that each student read at least half the syllabus in large print format.

The final new edition to the Gen. Ed 105 teaching staff is former Wham! frontman, George Michael. Vennedy was very impressed with how Michael loves "reading those books, responding to them, and taking them to heart."

Michael addressed the students yesterday, saying "I will be your preacher-teacher, anything you have in mind." He also encouraged students to attend his office hours, to "put your tiny hand in mine." In the fall of 1997, singer-songwriter Michael attended several lectures, spoke with students, and considered teaching the class. Roles said, "Baby, I'm asking you to stay / Please, please, please, don't go away." Yesterday, Michael explained his transcendental approach to the class, saying "Section's natural, section's fun, section's best when it's one on one."

Whitney K. Bryant '99-'00, a Crimson editor, is an english major in Lowell House. Jessica A. Nordell '99-'00 is a physics major who lives off-campus. Anna M. Schneider-Mayerson '00, a Crimson executive, is a social studies concentrator in Kirkland House.