Jordanian King Pledges to Support Middle-East Peace Process

By Robert K. Silverman, Crimson Staff Writer

King Abdullah II bin al-Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan delivered his first address to an American university on Friday, speaking to a packed ARCO Forum about Jordan's role in restoring peace, prosperity and security to the Middle East.

"Jordan is trying to be a symbol of what we think is the future of the Middle East," he said.

Abdullah, 37, ascended to the Jordanian throne in February, following the death of his father King Hussein. The popular Hussein was known for his active role in promoting the peace process, an ideal Abdullah vowed to uphold.

"Peace in the Middle East is not an option, it is a must," he said. "War is not an option."

Jordan has played a crucial role in the peace process, often serving as a bridge between Israel and the Arab powers in the region.

Abdullah said he views Jordan's relationship with Israel as an example for the other powers.

"Jordan has been a model of success in showing that peace can be achieved and successfully sustained," he said.

According to Abdullah, Jordan's current task is to facilitate negotiations between Israel and Syria. But he hoped Jordan would hold the role of go-between only temporarily.

"We realized that both sides were saying pretty much the same thing," he said. "There's nothing better than having two people sitting together at a table without having someone watch over their shoulder."

Flanked at all times by legions of dark-suited security agents, Abdullah delivered his address in flawless English with a hint of a British accent.

Abdullah received his education overseas, including stints at Oxford University and Massachusetts' Deerfield Academy, but also served extensively in the Jordanian army.

Abdullah said this upbringing gave him "the best of both worlds and cultures."

Serving "in the middle of nowhere" in Jordan allowed him to "suffer with the soldiers what they were going through," he said.

Abdullah said he hopes to retain this bond with his citizens.

"What I fear is that as time progresses, I will lose touch," he said. "If I start to think like I'm a king, then I've got a problem."

Now, Abdullah said, he believes his people want peace.

"There have been wars in our region for 30 to 40 years. The people in our part of the world have just had enough," he said. "I believe Jordanians are just saying 'let there be peace.'"

With the onset of globalization, Abdullah said, ensuring security in the Middle East is necessary to bringing prosperity to the region.

"There's a commonality of economic interests. There's no room for narrow differences," he said.

To lure foreign investment, Abdullah advocated liberal policies on trade and the free movement of capital.

One of the central goals of Abdullah's visit to the United States was to attract American business dollars. In addition to meetings with President Bill Clinton, Secretary of State Madeline K. Albright and various members of Congress, Abdullah spoke with representatives of the private sector to establish "joint ventures with big American companies," he said.

With over 50 percent of the country's citizens under age 20, many of whom travel to the United States and Europe for their education, Abdullah said Jordan is rich in intellectual and human capital.

"There is such a wealth of young talent that we want to utilize," he said. "We are going to the computer industry and saying that Jordan has a golden opportunity for both sides."

Although disappointed over the lack of foreign investment up to this point, Abdullah said it is important "not to cry over spilt milk."

Despite Jordan's four-year recession, he said he remains optimistic.

"Our commitment to economic reform has not wavered," he said.

Abdullah said he wants to "create an atmosphere of opening doors to investment."

"There should be a more fluid language between the private sector and the government," he said. "They regard each other as mortal enemies. What we're trying to do is break down those barriers and work as a team."

In addition to reforming the economy, Abdullah said he remains committed to fostering democratic reforms in Jordan.

He spoke of the need for democracy to "become embedded in society," with a strong and independent judiciary to assure that all citizens--men and women--feel equal under the law.

In the question and answer period, Abdullah touched on other several other sensitive issues.

When asked about the status of Jerusalem in possible peace talks, he refused to state a concrete position. "I think it's best for people to shy away from making statements. It just confuses the issue," he said.

Abdullah did comment on the situation in Iraq. Although he said Jordanian-American relations are the "best they've ever been," Abdullah urged the United States government to ease sanctions against Iraq.

"We feel firsthand the effects that they are having on the Iraqi people," he said. "Sanctions are not the answer. Peaceful dialogue is the answer rather than hostility and confrontation."

Abdullah also expressed frustration with shifting international policies.

"In American foreign policy there's not always a focus on the long-term approach," he said. "The problem with politics is that people want to make a slogan that appeals to a certain section of society. We in the third world have gotten used to this, so we just sit back, wait for the dust to settle, and then begin again."

Prior to Abdullah's address, Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine announced the establishment of a professorship at the Kennedy School of Government in honor of King Hussein.

In response, Abdullah said, "Harvard and the Kennedy School will have a very special place in the heart of all Jordanians."