Skaters Dazzle, Amuse in 30th Evening With Champions

By Eric S. Barr, Contributing Writer

During an evening filled with dazzling performances by some of the world's preeminent figure skaters, few expected Dan Hollander's comedic renditions of scenes from "South Park" and "Mrs. Doubtfire."

But the inspired performance by the two-time Olympic bronze medallist was greeted with enthusiastic applause, as were the other skaters' performances at this year's An Evening With Champions (EWC) benefit exhibition.

This year marked the 30th anniversary of the event, which donates all proceeds to the Jimmy Fund, an organization that supports the fight against cancer.

The performance and the celebratory anniversary events held throughout the weekend were successful, according to audience members, performers and planners of the event.

"I thought the show went beautifully," EWC host and 1992 Olympic silver medallist Paul S. Wylie '91 said. "Audiences really got into the show."

The planners of the event agreed.

"I'm just really pleased with the way things went," said event co-chair Gisela I. Mohring '00. "People that I didn't know just came up to me during the reception and during the show and said that we did a really wonderful job."

Mohring estimated combined attendance at 5,300 for the three shows.

Mohring said proceeds from the performance, which cost $25 for adults and $10 for seniors, children and undergraduates, will not be known until the spring.

During the past 30 years, EWC has donated over $2 million to the Jimmy Fund, a program founded in 1948 by the Boston-based Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

The Jimmy Fund was born five decades ago, when a 12-year-old cancer patient, known to the world as "Jimmy," asked for a television set to watch baseball games.

In addition to the performances, other EWC events took place throughout the weekend.

A gala banquet was held on Thursday night for the skaters and sponsors, along with a reception on Friday night and a dinner before the show on Saturday.

Jimmy Fund families received a special block of tickets for the Saturday matinee, and the children were treated to a pizza and ice cream party.

"The skaters came for lunch and spent some time with the kids at the party," Mohring said.

Performers were enthusiastic about the cause.

"I know it's for a great cause, and just helping the kids is a big deal to me," 1999 US silver medallist Naomi Nari Nam said. "It was a great crowd. It always is here."

Evgeny Platov, a 1998 World Professional Champion, traveled from Russia to support EWC.

"It's great to be involved in something when you can help people," Platov said.

EWC was an opportunity for Platov to try out a new skating program, and he said it was well received.

"I think people like our new number," Platov said. "Usually people are pretty warm in these kinds of shows."

In addition to international champions, attendees watched performances by local skaters, including Morgan A. Rowe '03.

"It was really great to share in the whole experience of the Jimmy Fund," Rowe said.

"Everyone had a lot of spirit. All of my entryway-mates came and cheered me on," she said.

Wylie praised this spirit at the opening of the performance.

"This night is about caring, tradition and excellence," Wylie said at Friday's show.

Wylie said he feels that EWC is a great cause. He has hosted 14 shows and skated in six.

" It was always a wonderful opportunity to give of my time for the benefit of the kids of the Jimmy fund," Wylie said.

Wylie emphasized the enduring success of EWC, saying that it is the longest-running televised figure skating exhibition in the world and noting that 36 different world and Olympic champions have skated at EWC.

"They've continually sold out the show, at least on Saturday night," Wylie said. "All 30 years, they've been able to sustain a pretty wonderful selection of skaters."

A committee of students from Eliot House, co-chaired by Mohring and Winifred M. Li '00, organized EWC.

Mohring made a special point of recognizing the House's efforts.

"The Eliot House Masters [Stephen A. Mitchell and Kristine L. Forsgard] have been really fabulous over the years, and we just wanted to thank them for all the help throughout the years," she said.

Li said that the efforts of the Eliot House students have also paid off.

"It's very rewarding to think that there are millions of people out there that are somehow affected by the show," Li said.

The co-chairs for next year's event will be chosen sometime within the next month, and planning for it will begin shortly thereafter.