Fifteen Minutes: Teens and Their Tots

For pregnant or parenting teens at CRLS, there is a day care and parenting program. The Adolescent Parenting Program (APP)
By Micaela K. Root and Anna M. Schneider-mayerson

For pregnant or parenting teens at CRLS, there is a day care and parenting

program. The Adolescent Parenting Program (APP) was created in 1981, when the wave of teenage pregnancies was at its peak. The day care component, First Steps (also known as the CRLS Adolescent Parenting Infant /Toddler Child Care) formally opened in September of 1983.

The APP was one of the first teen parenting programs in the country. "It was first and foremost a dropout prevention initiative," says Betsy Bard, adolescent parenting program clinician. "The number one reason why women drop out is because they have no emotional support or day care."

"We also see the program as primary prevention for a second pregnancy. Most of our students don't have a second child," she adds.

At the center of the APP is the Life Skills course. This year-long one-period course is 10 academic credits. It focuses on developing life, child care and parenting skills with units on career education, college planning and literacy. But while there is a set curriculum, Bard explains that they have to be sensitive to what people in the class want to talk about.

"This is a place to vent," she says. Bard herself is a social worker who individually counsels parents and pregnant students on navigating medical and housing issues. She also leads a book group with a focus on stories relating to parenting.

Moreover, since the students in the room are often at different stages of pregnancy and parenthood, discussion has to be fluid. "Some people think it's impossible," says student mother Karen. "It's not impossible. It's hard but it's not like lifting up a truck and carrying it down a street. It's mostly hard at first."

Rachel, whose two sons are enrolled in the First Steps day care, explains that sometimes Bard will have her come in to talk to women when they are thinking too idealistically.

"I was never for abortion but now I am. If you're not mentally stable, financially stable, don't have a baby."

Rachel, now a senior, had her first son in June of her freshman year of CRLS and her second son almost two years later. Though she no longer takes the parenting class, she comes in every afternoon to work at the day care as an intern and see her sons. "I love the Day Care. They help me with everything, real-life things that you need to know. When Mark [my first son] was born, I was the baddest mom."

While mothers are the majority in the program, Bard notes that if the fathers are still in the school, they do significant outreach to get him to attend as well. While Rachel hadn't heard of the program before, Karen had. "I just knew about the program. It is part of the school," she says.

Like the APP, First Steps day care exists to enable teen parents to continue their education. Only enrolled APP students can make use of the First Steps day care. Other responsibilities include maintaining a consistent attendance and punctuality record in classes and with the day care program, helping at the day care at least two hours a week, supplying bottles and diapers, and adhering to the health policies, like proper immunizations.

In return, CRLS parents get a day care center open the length of the school day, from 7:50 a.m. to 3 p.m., where they can spend their lunch period with their children. The teaching staff of six cares for up to eight infants and nine toddlers at a time. Only children over six weeks and under two years, nine months are accepted. While there is no fee for APP teens, there are four slots for school department staff, who pay monthly tuition. Breakfast and lunch are served; infant formulas are provided. "I have trouble picking day cares. Here I could see him a lot," Karen explains about her 8-month-old son. Karen, like Rachel, comes to the day care for her lunch period.

In 1988, a mentoring program was added. It had a "goal-oriented purpose," says Bard. "It's become known that one-on-one mentoring with an older person is good for teens at risk." Karen's mentor, an area graduate student training to be a social worker, is the only person outside of school who really helps her.

"We do things together and go out to the movies. She helps me with Christian," she says. "I've only had a babysitter four times," Karen adds.