Album Review: Aphrodite

By Taylor R. Terry

Aphrodite's latest album is a more ambient treatment of his previous meld of ragga and jump-up drum 'n bass. Don't understand the genre-codes of electronic music? Here's a quick translation: this is good dance music. Aphrodite, the nom de turntable of Gavin King, is well known in the British underground for his past work alongside Mickey Finn and his remix of Nine Inch Nails' "Perfect Drug." Though his recent releases have been criticized as too mainstream, this album proves that dance music can be accessible without losing touch with its roots. The beats are as solid and inventive as one would expect from an artist who has been at the epicenter of jump-up drum 'n bass for years, but it is the sampling that makes this disc more than just forgettable rave fodder. Aphrodite's usual hip-hop soundbites are topped with a mix of organic, ambient clips ranging from jazz horns to ethereal female vocals. Especially notable is the fun treatment of the rude saxophone lick from DJ Kool's party anthem "Let Me Clear My Throat" on the track "B. M. Funkster." A solid contribution to the drum 'n bass catalogue and a good choice for the budding electronic music fan looking to explore the world beyond the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim. B+