Leagues Women

UNH, Brown likely challengers to No.1 Harvard for first place in talented conference

By Zevi M. Gutfreund, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

While the Harvard women's hockey team spent 1998-99 getting better, the rest of Division I was busy getting bigger.

This year the ECAC will have a western counterpart, the WCHA, which will increase the number of Divison I teams from 15 to 20. The ECAC, meanwhile, decreased from 14 to 13 teams when winless Colby moved to Division III.

Despite the loss of the White Mules, the ECAC should be stronger than ever. Last season all ten nominees for the Patty Kazmaier Award for national player of the year hailed from the ECAC--seven of which are still in the league.

So, the list of top players in the conference should not change much, and neither should the list of teams that make the playoffs. The preseason coaches' poll mirrors last year's final standings.

But nothing is set in stone. Harvard has a long way to go before postseason play in March, and there are more than enough talented teams to challenge the Crimson for first place during the regular season. Here is how each team looks heading into the season, in the order of the preseason coaches' poll.

1. Harvard (please see full story page 1)

2. New Hampshire

Although falling to the Crimson four times last season, UNH (20-7-4, 19-4-3 ECAC) played it close in every game. Perhaps the Wildcats' best performance of the season was in the national championship game, when UNH came up with two goals late in the third period to force overtime before surrendering its title to Harvard.

This year, Coach Karen Kay will have to compensate the loss of defenseman Nicki Luongo (16 g , 29 a), a First-Team All-American who was a perennial presence in the defensive zone. Kay will rely on seniors Kerry Maher (3, 16) and Jamie DeGriselles (1, 10) to fill Luongo's skates at the blue line.

The offense should be as strong as ever. UNH lost forward Melissa Heitzman (25, 23), a Second-Team All-ECAC selection. However, the Wildcats have a host of scoring talent to turn to, including seniors Carisa Zaban (29, 38), a Second-Team All-American, Samantha Holmes (30, 25) and Melissa McKenzie (20, 26), who spent the summer with the U.S. Under-22 Team, and junior Michelle Thornton (19, 27).

But the offense will have to make do without the services of senior forward Carrie Jokiel (7, 5), whose career ended Oct. 15 after the Wildcats' captain suffered an injury that revealed a congenital birth defect.

UNH also has a reliable goaltender in senior Alicia Roberts (2.11 GAA), who set a school record with 51 saves in the national championship game. Roberts joined McKenzie on the Under-22 Team.

3. Brown

Though most of the ECAC relied on high-scoring games to win, Brown (23-7-5, 19-4-3) won with its defense. The Bears held their opponents to 1.39 goals per game last season, which impressed the AWCHA enough to invite Brown to its national tournament, even after losing to Dartmouth in the first round of the ECAC Tournament.

The key to any good defense is the goaltender, and the Bears have one of the nation's best in senior Ali Brewer (1.34 GAA). Brewer, the only netminder in the nation to defeat Harvard last season, earned First-Team All-America honors with her stellar play.

Brewer had plenty of help in the defensive zone, especially from junior defenseman Tara Mounsey (14, 24). A Second-Team All-American and a U.S. Olympian in 1998, Mounsey can take the puck anywhere on the ice and create a scoring chance for the Bears.

But Mounsey led the Bears in scoring from the blueline, which means Brown will have to improve its offense if it wants to be a contender for the ECAC title. Head coach Margaret Degidio Murphy will rely on senior forward Jordan Jiskra (16, 20) and junior forward Kathleen Kauth (18, 10) to provide some punch in the offensive zone.

4. Northeastern

Although the Huskies (25-7-3, 18-4-4) may not be the best team on paper, they always manage a few early upsets and end up in the mix for the conference title. Maybe it's the fact that they play in fabled Matthews Arena, the oldest hockey rink in Boston.

Maybe. But senior forward Hilary Witt (27, 24) has also played a major role in Northeastern's recent success. Witt's penchant for timely goals made her a Kazmaier nominee last season, and she should lead the Husky offense again.

Northeastern is in the process of grooming its next big scorer in sophomore forward Brooke Whitney (6, 26). But Coach Heather Linstad will need more than two scorers to remain competitive this year. Additional help might come from sophomore forwards Nicole Lewis (11, 11) and Brooke White (7, 14).

The anchor of the defense will be junior goaltender Erika Silva (1.61 GAA), who split time with the now-graduated Shannon Meyers, although Silva was between the pipes for most of the games against nationally-ranked opponents.

This year Silva will miss the services of defenseman Jaime Totten (6, 17), who was a Second-Team All-American in her senior season. Senior Jennie Setaro (14, 11) will lead the Huskies at the blueline, along with freshman Kim Greene.

5. Dartmouth

Dartmouth (16-9-5, 14-7-5) came on strong in the last month of the regular season last year, ending on a positive note by upsetting Brown in the first round of the ECAC Tournament. And the Coach Judy Parish Oberting's squad could have improved even more this year.

Junior goaltender Meaghan Cahill (2.36 GAA) leads a solid Big Green defense. Last season she received plenty of help from sophomore defenseman Correne Bredin (8 , 24 , who used her physical presence on the ice to earn a spot of the ECAC All-Rookie Team. Wendy Soutsos (1, 22) is the only defenseman lost to graduation.

In the offensive zone, Dartmouth will have to fill the skates of Kathleen O'Keefe (9, 25), who led the team in points. Parish Oberting will rely on junior forwards Jennifer Wiehn (16, 12), Carrie Sekela (14, 13) and Lauren Trottier (13, 16) to provide the bulk of the scoring.

6. Princeton

The Tigers (15-14-1, 14-11-1) are a young team but should once again compete for a playoff berth this season. For that to happen, however, Princeton must replace the scoring production of forward Ali Coughlin (19, 21), a Kazmaier nominee last season.

The obvious solution for Coach Jeff Kampersal is sophomore forward Andrea Kilbourne (18, 26), who led the team in scoring last season and qualified for the ECAC All-Rookie Team.

But Kilbourne scored most of those points playing alongside Coughlin, who

attracted most of the defense's attention and allowed Kilbourne room to roam near the net. That means that junior forward Abbey Fox (6, 10) or senior Danya Marshman (5, 8) will have to assert themselves as scoring threats this season.

Princeton's biggest strength should be at the blueline. Junior defenseman Annamarie Holmes (10, 18) proved to be one of the more capable defensive scorers in the conference last season, and senior defenseman Dani Holtschlag (6, 11) can also contribute on offense.

Sophomore goaltender Susan Maes (3.05 GAA) had an erratic rookie year between the pipes for the Tigers. She will need more help from her teammates in the defensive zone this season.

7. Providence

As usual, the Friars (19-12-3, 15-8-3) will ask a lot of Sara DeCosta (2.32 GAA), their all-everything 5'9" goaltender. DeCosta used her height and experience with the 1998 U.S. Olympic Team to frustrate opposing offenses and earn Second-Team All-America honors last year.

Providence has done its best to help out its netminder, and the Friars will return all of their defensemen from last season, led by junior Valerie Bono (12, 11) and sophomore Kim Mathias (7, 7).

But things are not as promising on the offensive end. The Friars will rely on junior forward Jess Tabb (19, 18), who led the team in scoring last season after winning the ECAC Rookie of the Year Award in 1997-98.

However, Providence lost forwards Katie Lachapelle (13, 23) and Myia Yates (15, 14) to graduation, and Corinne Rosen (17, 17) transferred to Ohio State to join former Providence coach Jackie Barto.

That means Barto's replacement, Bob Deraney, will have to start from scratch to come up with a productive offense.

8. Niagara

The future is bright for Niagara (11-15-2, 9-15-2). The Purple Eagles can certainly contend for a playoff berth this season, but Coach Margot Page will need to bring her young skaters along very quickly for that to happen.

All 17 players from last year's squad, the school's first-ever women's hockey team, are back--and they will welcome 12 freshmen to the team bench. After suffering the expected growing pains at the beginning of its inaugural season, Niagara barely missed a playoff berth by just eight points.

Sophomore forward Brooke Bradburn (18, 13) was one of the Purple Eagles to make the ECAC All-Rookie Team. She, along with classmate Stephanie Romain (12, 12) will lead Niagara's scoring attack.

Sophomore netminder Tania Pinelli (3.39 GAA), another ECAC All-Rookie Team selection last year, is the heart of the defense. She will be flanked by sophomore defensemen Barbara Prall (6 , 15) and Julie Forsyth (2, 8).

9. St. Lawrence

The Saints lost only one player to graduation. While the team should be

improved, it may not be equipped for postseason play this year.

Coach Paul Flanagan's offense will be led by a pair of high-scorers in junior forward Caroline Trudeau (23, 20 ) and sophomore forward Trisha Powers (22, 20). Flanagan will look to junior forwards Stacy Boudrias (11, 12) and Suzanne Fiacco (11, 11) to provide additional scoring threats.

At the blueline, Flanagan is depending on senior defenseman Kristina Heyes to provide experience and leadership. Heyes will help out junior goaltender Caryn Ungewitter (3.36 GAA).

10. Cornell

The Big Red (15-16-0, 14-12-0) squeaked into ECAC Tournament last season, a feat that will not be as easy to accomplish this year. Part of the reason is that both of last year's goaltenders, Melissa Junkala (1.89 GAA) and Alanna Hayes (3.11 GAA) graduated.

An extremely young team, most of the players left for Coach Carol Mullins are freshmen and sophomores. They will look to the leadership of senior forwards Colette Bredin (17, 10) and Alison Stewart (8, 13) in the offensive zone.

At the other end of the ice, junior defenseman Danielle Bilodeau (12, 10) will carry the load for a group of young defensemen and goaltenders.

11. Maine

Maine (13-18-1, 7-18-1) is another young team still searching for experience and chemistry in the second year of its program. Coach Rick Filiguera has brought in some transfers from Canadian colleges, including Christine Lane and Nicole Monroe, to give the Black Bears a boost as the season kicks off.

Sophomore Raffi Wolf (31, 12) finished fourth in the conference in goal-scoring last season, good enough for a spot on the ECAC All-Rookie Team. A lot of those goals came on assists from sophomore forward Kira Misikowetz (12, 28). Filiguera hopes that Lane and Monroe will provide speed to give Maine a more explosive offense.

At the blueline, the Black Bears will be led by junior defenseman Kelly Nelson (8,4), who will assist sophomore netminder Amanda Cronin (3.75 GAA).

12. Boston College

The Eagles (8-22-2, 4-20-2) will need a lot of energy and enthusiasm to compete for postseason action this year. And Boston College is hoping that most of that enthusiasm will come from first-year Coach Tom Babson.

For experience in the offensive zone, Babson will look to junior forward Jennifer Buckley (16, 21) and senior forward Gena Nolin (13, 21). Junior forward Amber Bobin (9, 15) and sophomore forward Jan Jorge (5, 16) will also figure highly in the Eagles' offensive attack.

The Eagles lost three of their top defensemen to graduation. Junior Heather Lombardo (0, 5) has the most experience at this position, which leaves a lot of the defensive responsibility in the hands of senior goaltender Christy Nentwig (4.86 GAA).

13. Yale

The Bulldogs (5-21-3, 2-21-3) have their work cut out for them this year. The only bright spot is that Coach John Marchetti has all but two of last year's players to pull the Elis out of the cellar.

Yale will need to post better numbers than they had last year. In particular, junior forwards Lisa Meyers (19, 14) and Jane Resor (11, 12) will need to increase their scoring production.

Junior defenseman Lauren Gulka (2, 6) will lead the Elis at the blueline, and sophomore goaltender Katie Hirte (4.61 GAA) will mind the net for the Bulldogs.