Field Hockey Draws Drexel in ECAC

By Daniel G. Habib, Crimson Staff Writer

After stunning then-No. 15 Brown in overtime last Saturday, the Harvard field hockey team earned a berth in the ECAC tournament, its third in the past four seasons.

The Crimson (11-6, 4-3 Ivy) is the No. 2 seed in the four-team field, and will face Drexel Saturday at Quinnipiac College in Hampden, Conn.

No. 20 Dartmouth (12-5, 5-2) is seeded first and will face the host Braves in the other semifinal. The championship game is on Sunday.

Harvard beat Quinnipiac 1-0 Oct. 6 at Jordan Field, but lost to Dartmouth 2-1 Oct. 30. Saturday's game will be the first-ever meeting between Harvard and Drexel.

Harvard lost 2-1 in the ECAC semifinal last year to Yale and lost the 1996 championship game to Maine.

Tri-captain Anya Cowan, who made a career-high 18 saves last Saturday against the Bears, was named the Ivy Player of the Week yesterday--her second weekly honor of the season.

This weekend's games will be the last in the Harvard careers of Cowan and fellow tri-captains Katie Schoolwerth and Dominique Kalil, all of whom have been regular starters since their freshman years.

Despite blowing sole possession of the Ivy title, Brown (13-3, 6-1) earned the league's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament by virtue of its head-to-head win over Princeton. The Tigers (11-6, 6-1) are hoping for an at-large bid to the NCAA field and will learn their fate today.