West Joins Bradley's Mass. Team

By Tonisha M. Calbert and Garrett M. Graff, Contributing Writerss

Fletcher University Professor Cornel R. West '74 was one of four co-chairs appointed to head Bill Bradley's presidential campaign in the Bay State last Friday.

The remaining members of Bradley's Massachusetts team are Nikki Tsongas, widow of former Sen. Paul Tsongas; former Boston Celtic John Havlicek and former U.S. Representative and state Attorney General James Shannon.

Bradley wanted community leaders and activists to head up his campaign, said Mo Elleithee, the New Hampshire press secretary for the Bradley campaign.

"Senator Bradley wanted to name four people that he has known from various aspects of his life," Elleithee said. "He's been good friends with and an admirer of Professor West for almost 20 years now."

West could not be reached for comment yesterday afternoon.

The co-chairs, Elleithee said, will help the campaign coordinate events and formulate policies. They may also go out and stump for Bradley.

"They'll help us find ways to spread Bradley's message in Massachusetts," Elleithee said.

He said one issue in particular has drawn Bradley and West together.

"There's a very mutual respect between them," he said, "particularly for their mutual interest in race relations."

The high-profile appointments are only one part of Bradley's campaign strategy, Bradley supporters said.

"I think he needs grassroots efforts and big figures in the public eye to support him," said Eve A. Schaeffer '02, a member of Harvard Students for Bradley.

State co-chair James Shannon said he was confident that the campaign would be successful in Massachusetts.

"We're going to organize this state to ensure a big victory on Super Tuesday," he said.

--Wire service reports were used in the compilation of this story.