Homophobia Forum Attendees Suggest Action

By Nicholas Walker, Contributing Writer

The Undergraduate Council, and the Harvard Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) met in a forum last night in Emerson Hall to tackle the problem of homophobia at Harvard.

In light of the recent homophobic incidents at Adams, Winthrop and Mather Houses, more than 30 students discussed ways to show more support for the homosexual community.

Those in attendance said there is a problem of "quiet homophobia" at Harvard, in which students react too apathetically to homophobic incidents.

Several ideas for involving students in the fight against homophobia were discussed. These included a more extensive postering campaign, the distribution of buttons and the establishment of a peer education group. Another idea was to pass out safe zone stickers to student rooms to indicate that the rooms are homophobia-free.

One member of the BGLTSA stressed the importance of reaching out to all students.

"[We] can't consider everyone not on the same page as a lost cause," he said.

Another student said that fostering tolerance for homosexuality on campus is not enough. Rather than being grudgingly accepted, homosexual students need to be comfortable in their surroundings.

"You tolerate roaches," the student said. "You tolerate what you don't want."

In the general discussion, several more ideas for reducing homophobia were discussed.

In light of the fact that the Freshman Dean's Office will move straight students if they are un-comfortable with having a gay roommate, one student suggested that gay students should be allowed to move if they are heterophobic.

One student said jokes about homosexuality often foster an attitude that feeds homophobia. He said this frame of mind can lead to sodomy laws and laws against gay marriage.

David B. Orr '01, a member of the council and the BGLTSA, said students should be outspoken when they hear someone jest about homosexuality.

"It isn't bad to stand up on issues," Orr said. "When someone makes a gay joke, I'm gay, that bothers me."

Students also discussed how to respond to people who say their religion conflicts with an acceptance of homosexuality.

"We won't get anywhere if we reduce people who have religious beliefs as stupid," one student said.

One student said that discounting a person's religion "is just as offensive as a gay joke."

But a member of the BGLTSA said that religious views against homosexuality are outdated.

"This is the nineties people," he said. "Get with the program."

Kamil E. Redmond '00, vice-president of the council, mediated the event, the first in a series of council-sponsored meetings on the issue.