The Field Guide: Art in Boston

IN THE SOUTH END

BROMFIELD GALLERY

560 Harrison Ave., 4th Floor (T: Broadway)

Wed-Sat: 12-5 p.m.

617-451-3605

This stalwart cooperative gallery, founded in 1974, shows the work of its members along with the occasional outsider. While some of the members work in sculpture, photography and digital imagery, painting is dominant, representational, abstract expressionist and in-between. I think of art-teacher art and art-student art as the two basic varieties of middling art; much of the art here has the sluggish, hard-earned competence of the art teacher. Bromfield is not to be sniffed at, however; Dale Kaplan's recent exhibition of paintings on Mexican chewing-gum boxes was very enjoyable.

Through Dec. 18: Still Life, 1999 (Lucy Barber, Myrna Beecher, Joseph Byrne and others)

FIRST EXPRESSIONS GALLERY

39 Thayer St. (T: Broadway)

Wed-Sun: 12-5 p.m.

617-695-2808

www.firstexpressions.org

Recommended Articles

Visual Arts Review: "Sex, Sexism, and Society"
On the Boylston St. sidewalk, a rather plain ad invites passers by into the Gallery of Social/Political Art located within
THE FIELD GUIDE Part III: Non-Profit and Alternative Spaces
Unlike museums and commercial galleries run by suave arts professionals, non-profit and alternative spaces are run by working artists. While
Visual Arts Review:
"Sex, Sexism, and Society" at the Gallery of Social/Political Art On the Boylston St. sidewalk, a rather plain ad invites
The Tensions of Feminist Art
The Feminist Movement has both helped and hindered women in the arts. It has directed serious critical attention to the
Subtle and Sweet on Newbury Street
Earlier this month, the Barbara Krakow Gallery on 10 Newbury Street exhibited a new and seemingly random assortment of art,
Conceptual Art for Dummies
Visual art is a self-contradicting enterprise, a delicious and complex can of worms: it is, on the one hand, about