Roving Reporter: What Are Your Health Concerns?

•

Matthew G. Mei '03

Fear: Food Poisoning

"I think I've gotten something similar to that from Annenberg food. It's not the cleanest place. My plate has been dirty and my silverware has had crud on it several times.

Eric T. Swick '02

Fear: Chicken Pox

"A couple of other guys on the wrestling team have it. I don't want to look like an ass and have red dots all over my face."

Laura C. Wells '02

Fear: Meningitis

"We're all completely freaked out about meningitis. Our roommate's uncle is a doctor and her aunt gets really paranoid. So she's been telling us all year that we need to get our vaccine."

Grace E. Bloodwell '03

Fear: Mono

"One of my acquaintances has it. If you're at parties and stuff, you pick up other people's drinks. Especially if you're an athlete it can take you out for months."

Pasha M. Coupet '02

Fear: Death

"[I'm scared of] being mutilated--like someone slitting my neck. I don't know. I guess I've seen a lot of horror movies. I imagine my roommate coming in and seeing me on the floor killed."

Benjamin R. Sloop '01

Fear: Mono

"I had a friend who had mono once and he was sick for a whole year and lost 30 pounds. I row here, so it would mess me up for so long. One time a few months ago I drank out of a glass at a club and I didn't realize it wasn't mine. I was afraid for days I was going to get it."

David A. Sivak '00

Fear: A Broken Femur

"I'm a FOP leader and that's one thing we learn in training. Your femur is this bone and it's surrounded by thick muscles. Not only do you have to wrap it up, you have to pull the bone to prevent it from cutting the femoral artery. You need to wrap it up in 15 minutes or you could die."

Roving Reporter

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.