Fifteen Minutes: Caveat Emptor: Shopping for the Cheap and Impounded

Who needs a car when traffic is horrible, pedestrians rule the streets and Harvard's parking lottery is allegedly rigged? Nobody
By A.b. Osceola

Who needs a car when traffic is horrible, pedestrians rule the streets and Harvard's parking lottery is allegedly rigged? Nobody ...unless you're hot for vehicular escape or some really cheap wheels.

The Boston Police Department helps to make this motorized dream come true with their "public auction," a once-a-month showcase showdown for leftover goods found in the tow lot. Buyer beware: Vehicles come "as is," and may lack keys, registration information or warranty papers: All bidders must be over the age of 18 with proper identification and all purchases must be removed within two days. Cash only.

Other goods available for your shopping pleasure: bikes, cameras and radios. Unfortunately, hardcore search and seizure bootie "never makes it up onto the auction block," according to Director of General Supply Jim Sullivan. Sorry, cell phones, bootleg watches, firearms and other weapons end up either "destroyed" or sent to the proper legal departments. For Miami Vice gear at rock bottom prices, bargain hunters should consider bidding outside the Commonwealth.

For more information call the Boston Police Department's Auction Hotline at (617) 343-4579.

--A. B. OSCEOLA