Album Review: When the Pawn... by Fiona Apple

By Christopher R. Blazejewski

The unabridged title to Fiona Apple's new album--the follow-up to her concisely titled debut Tidal--actually runs 90 words long. A more appropriate name might have been "How About 'Dem Apples!" The angst-ridden star apparently thinks she made a criminal first impression, and spends most of When the Pawn... emphasizing the sincere emotions that hide behind her previous dreamy, doctored image. The result is less shock and more maturity.

Throughout the album, Apple's sultry black-widow vocals make quick transitions between seething anger, casual indifference and sensitive longing. "I let the beast in too soon, I don't know how to live/Without my hands on his throat; I fight him always and still/O darling, it's so sweet" explains Apple on "Fast as You Can," and yet you still don't know whether her sexual prey should flee her in fear or approach her with curiosity. Apple draws heavily on old-school R&B and the instrumental support, led by Jon Brion, effectively complements her wandering voice. Her piano work is uncomplicated and elegant, allowing you to focus on her intimate vocals. "I Know," the album's concluding track, proves that Fiona Apple was correct about one statement on Tidal: you don't have to sleep to dream. A-