Robbery Reminiscent of Yard Burglar's Handiwork

By Garrett M. Graff, Contributing Writer

Less than a day after the suspected Yard burglar was released from the Middlesex County Jail, Matthews Hall was robbed again.

This, along with two other robberies yesterday--one at MIT and one at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts--have been linked to a person fitting the description of the suspected Yard Burglar, University officials said late last night.

Assistant Dean of Freshmen Philip A. Bean issued a rare warning to first-years last night to be on the lookout for suspicious people in the wake of yesterday's incidents.

Sometime between midnight and 4:30 a.m. yesterday, an unlocked suite in the Yard dorm was burglarized of cash, credit cards, a Harvard ID and a backpack.

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) received a report from residents at 8:30 a.m. yesterday about the overnight robbery.

Julie D. Rosenberg '03 noticed yesterday morning that her backpack was missing, and her roommates noticed that their wallets were missing.

"It definitely takes away some of the feeling of safety," she said. "I was hoping to make this feel more like home."

Rosenberg pointed out that students should be thankful that only material items have been taken in the break-ins.

"We're all lucky that we weren't hurt," she said.

Matthews has been hit hard this fall by crime. Over a dozen suites have been robbed.

The modus operandi of yesterday's burglar mirrored the crime spree that shook first-year residents in October.

In those robberies, police arrested Andre Stuckey, 20, formerly of Long Beach, Calif. Police describe Stuckey as a 5-foot 10-inch, 160 pound, light-skinned black male with a shaved head.

When questioned yesterday, police refused to link the robberies to Stuckey.

"The investigation is just beginning," McNamara said.

Stuckey, who had been held for $50,000 bail, was released from jail following a court appearance Wednesday.

"The judge released him on his own personal recognizance," said Brian Greeley, spokesperson for the Middlesex County Sheriff's Office.

Stuckey was released from the Middlesex County jail at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Greeley said. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 2, 2000.

HUPD officials said they did not know where Stuckey was heading after being released.

Neither Stuckey's lawyer nor the District Attorney's office could be reached for comment yesterday.

HUPD officials are looking into reinstating security measures they instituted during the height of the robberies this fall, including undercover officers in the dorm.

Meanwhile, Matthews' residents said they should have been notified of Stuckey's release from prison, and parents of first-years are equally outraged at the University's failure to prevent burglaries.

Gervasio A. Lamas '74, the father of a Matthews resident, says he is angry and frustrated by the new robberies. His daughter's room was burglarized in October.

"[This robbery] shows the University's methods for protecting freshmen are woefully inadequate," he said.

"A university has a responsibility to educate," he said. "Part of that responsibility is providing an environment where learning can occur. That includes libraries, labs, classrooms, but also safe, secure dorms."

For its part, HUPD is upset too.

Rosenberg said the police officer that responded to her break-in was frustrated.

HUPD cannot stop break-ins without the cooperation of students, said spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

"We're here to protect students and property, but we need help in a case like this," she said.

While the investigation continues, McNamara asked students to watch out for suspicious persons and people that "piggy-back" into the dorms by following students who swipe in with their ID cards.

She also stressed one piece of advice for undergraduates.

"Secure your doors," McNamara said. "Secure your doors."