CBS Overhaul Includes Hiring Of Glanville

CBS completed its purge of its rookie studio analysts yesterday, hiring veterans Craig James and Jerry Glanville to boost its struggling "NFL Today" studio show.

The network had come under heavy criticism last year for pairing Jim Nantz with television rookies Marcus Allen, Brent Jones and George Seifert.

The foursome didn't mesh from the outset, and Seifert was replaced during the season with insider Mike Lombardi, who likely will return to his off-air research role next season.

Seifert left the network last month to coach the Carolina Panthers. Allen will be a reporter and Jones will be a game analyst.

"I think with the lineup that we'll have this season, we'll be in a much more competitive position with the other NFL pregame shows," said CBS Sports President Sean McManus.

Last year, the "NFL Today" was the lowest rated network pregame show in history. Its 2.7 rating on Sunday's one-hour show trailed Fox by 37 percent, prompting yesterday's moves.

"The people at CBS realized now how it was a real tough task for Brent and Marcus coming in with little experience," said James, who has been hosting college football studio shows since 1991. "I genuinely believe that if this team comes about, with Randy [Cross] and Jerry, it will be entertaining and informative."

Glanville has spent the last five seasons as an analyst for Fox and also cohosts "Inside the NFL" on HBO. Fox claims it has a three-year contract with Glanville, but he says he never signed it.

"If they have a document with my signature, I promise you the FBI will be called in because it is a forgery," Glanville said.