Weld Appoints PBH Head to Committee

By Robert S. Lee

The president of Phillips Brook House (PBH) has been named to a committee charged with overseeing grants his organization will likely apply for.

John B. King Jr. '95 was appointed to the Massachusetts National and Community Service Commission last month by Governor William F. Weld '66.

The commission is responsible for distributing the money for public service made available by the National Service Act passed last April.

To avoid a conflict of interest, members are not allowed to vote on matters that affect the organization from which they come, King said.

"I'm excluding myself from areas where we're applying," he said.

The National Service Act is divided into several programs, including the Americore, Higher Education, and Summer Safety bases.

King said he is not allowed to vote on any applications to the Americore or to the Higher Education bases, since PBH will apply for grants under these programs.

King is one of 25 members on the committee, which is composed ofrepresentatives from public service organizations,business, and state agencies.

"I'm very excited. It's a good opportunity tohave an impact on public service, on thecommunity," King said.

The commission will meet twice a month toreview applications for Massachusetts publicservice grants.

In some cases, it will make a recommendationabout a grant to the federal government. In othercases, the committee will make the final decision,King said.

King and other PBH representatives arecurrently in Washington, D.C. to discuss a grantapplication with officials of the National ServiceCorporation.

PBH is applying for funding for ten summer youth enrichment programs.

On Sunday, King will speak to the NationalLeague of Cities, an organization of mayors andcity council members from around the country,about how universities can be a positive force incommunities