M. Swimming Still Undefeated

HIGHLIGHTS

This is starting to get repetitive. With yet another crushing win this weekend over Penn, the Harvard men's swimming and diving team almost seems to be desperate for some real competition.

Capturing 12 of 17 first places, not to mention sweeping five events, the Crimson finished their dual meet season untouched, slaughtering Penn 175-97.

Harvard made this victory appear effortless despite missing several of its top performers due to flu and injury.

Stepping up to fill the gap, many individual swimmers finished their year with a flourish.

"My times weren't the best of the season but it was an emotional meet for me since it was the last meet of the season," said senior Matt Krna. "The atmosphere was more important than my personal performances and it was a decent way to end my career."

Having captured the pool record at Cornell last weekend, co-captain Greg Wriede shattered yet another pool best in the 200-yard backstroke at Penn, beating the previous record of 1:49.60 with a blazing 1:49.55, only a second off his personal best.

For underclassmen not competing in Easterns next weekend, this meet was also the end of the road. And for some, like freshman Charlie Cromwell, the end proved especially challenging.

Taking first place in the 100-yard butterfly, Cromwell went on to win the 200-yard individual medley, and swim the third leg of the 400-yard freestyle relay. These impressive showings were all back-to-back, save for a quick detour to the showers where Cromwell lost his breakfast for the team.

"After the 100 fly I started to feel a little sick, but the team was really supportive and I wanted to give it my all for the 200-IM," Cromwell said. "I had no idea how difficult it would be but training the whole year helped me pull it off. It was a great way to end the season."

Other notable performances included Erik Frost's victory in the three-meter diving event and Ryan Egan's first place in the 100-yard freestyle, where he posted a time of 46.15.

"This was our first season undefeated in the Ivy League since 95-96," said Wriede. "So it was a good way to cap off the regular season."

With a flawless dual meet showing behind it, the Crimson sets it sights on its third straight Eastern's title March 4-6. Christine Haggerty