Campos' Father Returned Safe

HIGHLIGHTS

ACAPULCO, Mexico--The father of Mexico's star soccer goalkeeper Jorge Campos was safe and at home yesterday, six days after being kidnapped.

Mexican television stations broke into regular programming to report the news to a country seemingly grown numb to repeated waves of kidnappings.

Jorge Campos, the most popular athlete in Mexico, left his team in Mexico City and flew to this Pacific resort to meet his father. The player spoke briefly outside the family home, saying only that his father was well and he did not think a ransom had been paid.

Alvaro Campos, 66, walked up to a police checkpoint outside Acapulco at 8:20 a.m., identified himself and asked for help. He was whisked to the Acapulco federal police office, where he met his family and taken home.

Police sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the elder Campos sprained his left ankle when he tumbled down an embankment last Thursday, trying to flee his captors.

Police doctors said he appeared tired but otherwise in good shape. The sources said he was not blindfolded and was generally treated well.