Technical Difficulties Force Council To Postpone Special Elections

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Alexis B. Offen

The Undergraduate Council has announced that it will reschedule the special elections for vacant seats that were to take place yesterday.

The paper-ballot elections will occur Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week.

"The election was cancelled because a.) a lot of people didn't know about it and b.) we're still looking into electronic voting," said Council Vice President Kamil E. Redmond '00.

Switching from paper balloting to electronic voting would allow the council to advertise candidates' position papers on-line.

A hardware problem in the council's computer has prevented the organization from permanently switching to an electronic system.

Council Technology Coordinator Paul A. Gusmorino '02 said he believes the computer is having problems with its power supply and that is now causing the computer to have trouble "seeing the network."

"Even if we could do something to get the computer to work, I don't feel confident running elections with it," Gusmorino said.

The council is expected to vote at this Sunday's meeting on a bill that would take money from the operations budget and use it for computer repairs.

"We definitely want to move back to an e-mail system. Now we need decide whether to get a new computer or get this one repaired," Gusmorino said.