Homeless Man Enters Winthrop

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Adam A. Sofen

A homeless man managed to enter a Winthrop House entryway over the intersession, making his way into a fourth floor student suite at approximately 1:30 a.m.

The residents of the suite called Harvard University police, who then removed the intruder.

Paul D. Hanson, Lamont professor of divinity and Master of Winthrop House, said that while the incident ultimately harmed no one, it was potentially dangerous.

In order to prevent anyone else from gaining unlawful access to the House, Hanson asked students to lock their suite doors always and not to allow others to "piggyback" into already opened entryways.

Hanson said there is no reason to allow others to piggyback since Harvard students can let themselves in.

He said while students have heard his advice before, the incident underscored the importance of safety consciousness. In an e-mail message to house residents, Hanson and House Master Cynthia Rosenberger said they and the House staff were very concerned about the situation.

Winthrop House has had universal keycard access during those hours when a security guard is on the premises for nearly two months.