Knowles Unveils $200M Science Initiative

Two new centers focus on genomics, mesoscale materials

By James Y. Stern, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

With a humanities center complete and a social sciences hub on the way, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles last week turned to his own field of expertise--the hard sciences--announcing a $150 to $200 million initiative in scientific research and education.

Knowles unveiled plans for two new scientific centers: a genomics and proteomics center that will promote cutting-edge research in genes and an imaging and mesoscale materials center that will focus on a variety of minute objects, from microchips to machines.

In addition, two other centers appear to be on the way. Knowles said he expects to create centers for neuroscience and information technology for scientific research next.

"[The] initiative is just wonderful," said Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Douglas A. Melton, who will co-direct the new genomics center.

Melton said the proposed center will lead to "a new way of doing biology at Harvard" because it will cut across the boundaries of various departments. He added that it will be "an enormously attractive recruiting tool."

Knowles agreed, saying the plan will help ensure that "the most exciting research and teaching are done here, by the most exciting people."

The California Institute of Technology as well as Stanford and Princeton Universities have all made significant strides in genomics, but Knowles said he did not embark on the move in response to pressures from other schools.

Instead, Knowles said he became concerned "about our success...in some areas in recruiting the most stellar faculty and the most talented graduate students and undergraduates."

The initiative will also help secure federal funding for scientific research at Harvard. On Monday, the White House proposed a 2 percent increase in funding to the National Institutes of Health for next year, a notable falling-off compared to this year's 15 percent rise.

"There is a concern that some of the traditional sources of science funding aren't available," said David R. Nelson, Mallinckrodt professor of physics and chair of the physics department "This initiative will help us secure funding...This is seed money to go in a different direction and seek new sources."

Knowles will pay for the initiative by taking advantage of the University's successful capital campaign, the investment returns of the Harvard Management Company and the increase in endowment payout that was announced earlier in the year, according to Ann E. Berman, associate dean for finance in Knowles' Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The road to Knowles' science boost begandefinitively last spring when Knowles began todiscuss the possibility of the initiative withvarious Faculty members. Over the summer, heconvened a committee of six Harvard scientists whocounseled Knowles on the final plan that emergedlast week.

Melton said the genomics center presents aunique opportunity because its research will beless "applied" than other work in the field, whichis usually geared toward combating sicknesses.Research at the new center will allow Harvardscientists to probe the entire human genome andlook at how it evolves and responds to disease.

The imaging and mesoscale materials center willallow scientists to build and study objects only afew hundred atoms across, which could lead touseful developments such as faster computingtechnology.

It will also have an intellectual component,Nelson said, because at such a small-scale, theordinary laws of physics break down and scientistswill have to work with a new set of physicalprinciples.

The genomics center, which will be locatedtemporarily in the Biological Laboratories at 16Divinity Ave., may find a permanent home next tothe Fairchild Biochemical Laboratories, which isalso on Divinity Avenue.

For now, the imaging and mesoscales center willbe housed in the same buildings as thosedepartments that will use it, but Nelson says hehopes to get a new building to house the center.

"That is my personal dream," Nelson said