IOP Announces Spring Schedule

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Marc J. Ambinder

An ex-president, a popular liberal comedian, and a former senator considered partially responsible for the peace accord in Northern Ireland are among the visiting dignitaries at the John F. Kennedy School of Government this spring.

Al Franken, star of NBC's Lateline and the author of two best-selling books on politics, will address the ARCO Forum on March 11, according to a schedule released yesterday by the Kennedy School press office.

Franken's latest book is "Why Not Me," a fictionalized account of a Franken run for the presidency in 2000.

George Mitchell, the former Maine senator who is President Clinton's appointee to mediate the crises in Northern Ireland, will speak on April 8.

Mitchell's topic has not yet been announced.

On March 8th, the Kennedy School's Women and Public Policy Program will host a forum entitled "Trafficking and Women," as a part of its recognition of International Women's Day.

Other events include a March 18 panel discussion entitled "Gay Rights and the Republican Party," featuring ABC News analyst and Weekly Standard editor William Kristol and author Andrew Sullivan.

The ARCO Forum will play host to gaggles of journalists on March 11, when the Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy names its Goldsmith Awards honorees.

The Kennedy School's first major forum of the year will be held on Feb. 16, when the spring semester fellows at the Institute of Politics will discuss Personal Perspectives on Politics.

Gerald R. Ford, the 38th president, has been chosen a visiting fellow, will make a public address March 17.